Rachio Gen 3 unable to connect to WiFi

For the iPhone Pro 11 there is an issue with the firmware on the unit (if new) and will need to be activated with a different mobile device (only one time). The XR should work for provisioning (just verified it works with XR/iOS 13.4.1). I would perform a factory reset on the unit and try one more time. If you have an iPad that will also work for the one time provisioning step. First I would factory reset the unit.

Thanks for your patience and have a great day!

:cheers:

I found an old android tablet and was able to get it to work.

Ok great. After provisioning new firmware will be sent to the unit so if you ever need to re-provision or update the WiFi the iPhone 11 Pro will work fine.

:cheers:

My controller had to be reset and it is not connecting to Wi-Fi now. Only a single light blinking. I exhausted the suggestions from the support area. After reading multiple comments in the community that appear to be similar, it sounds like the device may be “bricked.” It has worked well for three months and then, quit working. Is there someone with Rachio I can talk to “live”?

@patzby - what is the light code that is blinking?

Try calling 1 844 4RACHIO (1 844 472 2446)

It’s almost 2021, can you post an answer to the can’t connect to wifi, can’t authenticate device problems. Been trying to connect since early November 2020. These comments are from 2018-19.

Can’t believe you have to be an IT wizard to get this POS working

When you posted (in another thread) on Nov. 25, I asked a few questions in an attempt to help, but there was no reply.

Tried lots to connect New Rachio 3 to no avail:

Have Rachio 3, strong wifi signal, tried with ios, andorid, windows

Have WHITE light on left quarter that blinks 12 times in row slowly followed by RED left quarter one time quickly, and then repeats to infinity. Never get to an amber/yellow light.

Goes through following attempts to set up on iPhone X:

-Gathering information about your network
-This accessory will be set up to join “network” (has correct rachio name shown under accessory window)
-Setting up this accessory to join “network”
-Joining “network"…. (circle icon for long time)
-An unexpected error occurred. Try again

Have repeatedly tried to recycle everything to no avail. Have tried unplugging Rachio, Reseting rachio by holding ‘stop’ button until blue light across shows up….and get the same series of messages when trying to restart. Have tried removing and reinstalling Rachio app, going within the app to ‘more’ to remove the controller, etc.

Been trying hard and working hard to get this up and running…to no avail.

Serial Number: VC5193447

PLEASE HELP

I am having setup issue with connecting to internet

@Agrawaljk - some questions:

1. What is the light code you’re seeing?

2. Can you describe your network?

3. Using Android or iOS device?

I see light zone 2 with yellow blinking.
Setting up on Iphone with WIFI.

I see error as attached.

Try using an older phone, even without a SIM, an Android or iOS tablet, or a laptop or desktop computer. See

Same here, I factory reset but nothing.

Everyone seems to want it connected to 2.4 GHz. I connect easily to 2.4 but it refuses to connect to 5 Ghz

Rachio Gen 3 on firmware 632
iPhone 12 Pro
iOS 14.7 beta
Eero Pro 6 on OS 6.3.1

2.4 is a better band to use. It has longer range which is what you need…

Everyone keep in mind if you are using a phone that has cell service, put it in airplane mode and then turn on its wifi. Now try the configuration. Avoid configurations with duplicate ssid’s on your network. The rachio and most iot will roam and lose connection.

1 Like

That depends. 2.4GHz is also more crowded, is noisier, and has less bandwidth (although that last should be an issue for the R3).

Airplane mode should not be necessary. Every phone I’ve ever had, Android or iPhone, would default to using WiFi if it was WiFi-connected.

I assume you mean the same SSID on both 2.4.GHz and 5GHz? If so: I agree. However, if you’ve multiple APs on the premises, you need the same SSID on each channel on all APs or you can’t roam.

Every phone I’ve had will switch to data service if the wifi connection doesn’t connect to the internet. That is exactly the scenario when you connect to the rachio over wifi while trying to set it up. The phone will abandon the wifi and route to cellular. There is a wifi preference for this but most people don’t know how to use it and some phones don’t have the preference switch.

Even ssid’s that match on the same band will cause iot devices to fail. The scenario goes like this. You have two ap with the same SSID. One can be seen but it’s too far for a reliable connection. Somewhere along the way the iot device roams away from the good point, maybe because it resets or something, switching to the bad one. Voila you are disconnected and it didn’t roam back. I see it all the time. Roaming works for mobile devices but even windows is notoriously bad at roaming.

2.4 has a lower bandwidth if you set the channel width lower than your 5ghz band. For instance, run both on a 40mhz (or 20) width, you get 40mhz on both channels assuming no noise as you said. If course 5ghz can have 80mhz and wifi 6 will improve on that.

Fair enough. But I’m not certain how this creates a problem? It certainly did not when I set our’s up a few days ago.

I’ll have to take your word for this. We have very few IoT devices on our WLAN (counting… eight or so?) and only the one AP.

Exactly. I can’t see crippling a WiFi network for mobile devices for the sake of IoT devices.

With capable APs it shouldn’t be a problem. Set up secondary SSIDs (our AP allows up to eight, in addition to a dedicated Guest WLAN config) and use a different SSID for the IoT devices.

I am not a fan of MS-Windows, but I never had a problem with this with MS-Win laptops at work.

Yes that’s great advice. Having a separate network for those kinds of devices means just configuring once for them and not having to mess with them. As long as local access isn’t needed, the AP can be isolated and provide some hacking resistance for your lan

I was thinking more to give each AP an additional, unique SSID on each channel to prevent IoT devices roaming, as you suggest they might, but, yes: You could do that, too.