Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

12 step didn’t work.
Also reset wifi first
Tried 12 step again, sat for 10
Minutes 2 feet away from Rachio controller outside.
Got a mosquito bite for every step!
Bupkis. Wheel spun until I gave up.
It got dark outside. Since you can’t do anything else while setting up a HomeKit accessory, retried all these steps with my iPad Air sitting just inside the house, through a window, about 3 feet from Rachio 3. I left it spinning and walked away after 10 minutes and will check back later.

All The Best,

Bill

Any improvements or other changes with the new equipment when using WiF?

I guess the real question for those of us that don’t have a problem is if they will completely remove support after they decided to stop replacing them.

I think it’s going to be more like a slow death… Sooner or later left behind by an iOS update. The best time to get out would be now more than likely. Mines working fine, but I doubt that it will for long. Do you

I would be interested in hearing from anybody that tried something else and likes it

I’m glad to hear it is working reasonably for you lately. It does work for most users. For clarity, we’re suspending work on this specific error, but we do not plan on dropping HK support from our firmware. We haven’t included HomeKit in our advertising for awhile given our current state with the integration (also @munpip214 since you share this concern).

1 Like

Very glad to hear it. My unit has been working pretty well. It would have been sad to see HomeKit functionality to fall victim to obsolescence.

Hopefully, you guys can get it to be rock solid in the Rachio 4, whenever that might come. What I would like to see is a one with an Ethernet jack. The RainMachine SPK5 has one. Setting up home automation devices on WiFi is so much more complicated than it needs to be. Whatever happened to plugging in an Ethernet cable, having the device pick up an IP address via DHCP and then configuring it through a web interface at that address?

1 Like

Highly suggest anyone wanting a working HomeKit solution to grab a raspberry Pi, install Homebridge, and install the Rachio plugin. It works great.

1 Like

Any chance of support through Matter? Is this on your radar

1 Like

It’s good to know that there is a possibility that these controllers will work with homekit in the future if they are working now… Anything you can do to help us there would be very much appreciated.

It’s not like you guys didn’t give your best shot. I love this controller and always have. I really appreciate your efforts.

I hesitate to say it, but mine has been working really well, except for some disconnects when I lose Internet. Unplugging it and plugging it back in almost always fixes that…

3 Likes

In the meantime, please offer support for the Homebridge plugin. Would be great if it could interface directly with Rachio and not depend on an external API. It avoids port forwarding and the use of Webhook Relay (its how I have it setup).

Left all night, it was spinning when I checked this morning. Tried again, nothing, again.

All The Best,

Bill

In the meantime, please offer support for the Homebridge plugin. Would be great if it could interface directly with Rachio and not depend on an external API. It avoids port forwarding and the use of Webhook Relay (its how I have it setup).

From what I can tell, it seems like folks have 100% success rate with Homebridge, but it is not officially supported by Apple. So, I don’t know that we could directly offer it as a solution or even encourage its use. Several users here have posted instructions on it and looks like it requires some technical know-how to setup. Although I have not looked into deeply, my assessment of Homebridge is that you need to have some technical knowledge or otherwise closely follow a tutorial or get assistance from other users online to set it up. It’s great to see that people are able to get Rachio to work with it.

If they can’t figure out the HomeKit issue after 3 years, I would not hold my breathe on matter support with this generation controller.

Speaking of firmware, when was the last firmware update to Rachio 3? Think I’m running some beta firmware that was pushed out last year to fix the HomeKit issue. It did not help btw.

1 Like

Yeah I’d put Matter support at 0.0000001% for Rachio 3.

I’m not an Apple guy, but I do end up on many beta programs.

iro3-firmware-hk-5-632 - Assuming the “hk” might have something to do with a Homekit firmware?

running iro3-firmware-hk-13-2

Not sure how old that is, but I assume it’s old.

Just wondering if you got this resolved. I, too, am unable to get HomeKit to discover Rachio. Years ago when this discussion began I removed Rachio from HomeKit while I waited for the resolution. Now that it’s not likely to happen I thought I’d give HomeKit another chance. Maybe I’ll be one of the lucky ones?? Tried factory reset a couple of times. All is well until entering the HomeKit code. It never finds Rachio. My firmware is up to date. Both Rachio and my iPhone (iOS16) are on the same 2.4ghz access point. I’m using Apple TV 4th gen for HomeKit hub connected to the same network. I called Rachio support and was told HomeKit wasn’t going to be supported and if the factory reset didn’t work that’s all they had. Any ideas?

Rachio is all over the Apple media world today for dropping HomeKit (not in a good way).

1 Like

I’m hoping they drop HomeKit support but replace it with Matter support, then everyone wins

I would doubt that is possible, if they can’t get HomeKit working on the chipset they are using I doubt it supports Matter.