Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

Not necessarily. Matter uses a different framework for communication and it might be possible to get it working considering they have other platforms working. Just not homekit.

Matter officially launched

I actually applaud Rachio for its decision to give up on HomeKit for the Rachio3 series. It appeared to be a case of throwing more good money after bad. One might argue coming to this decision should not have taken years, but at this point…whatever.

For many of us part of the enticement to purchase our Rachio3 was the HomeKit compatibility feature and indeed it could be a very nice convenience. That said, let’s talk reparations. Rachio has taken the aggressive step of allowing purchasers a product refund for its return, if desired. Some owners will likely take this offer and move on. At least one of us, me, will keep the 3 but hope for improvements in the 4, or whatever it will be called. I think for those of us doing the same, Rachio could and should provide a significant incentive to upgrade to the next generation controller. That could be several things: (a) early or priority release for those who choose it, (b) MAJOR discount in pricing, at least 25% off list, (c) combination of both, (d) something else of value to the customer.

Just my thinking here, worth every single cent paid for it. :laughing:

3 Likes

Well said. Rachio HomeKit does a few convenient things…

In my opinion and as far as I’m concerned, the Rachio controller is by far the best controller out there and I will continue to use it for what it does best - Watering my yard.

HomeKit or not, I have the greenest yard in the neighborhood and have kept it watered as efficiently as possible. That is hard to beat!

3 Likes

Actually, Apple has stated that Matter is based on HomeKit’s framework, and will utilize Thread and WiFi/Ethernet as the primary communication mediums.

I would love to see a Rachio 4 with HomeKit/Matter support via Thread. I’m not sure you could get away with NOT including Bluetooth for setup, and TCP/IP over WiFi is pretty much a given these days. Wired Ethernet with PoE would be excellent, I think we should be utilizing wired connections a LOT more than we typically do these days. Especially for devices screwed to the wall/ceiling. If only new home construction included CAT 6 runs as standard instead of (or in addition to) coax.

I completely agree with you on the underutilization of wired connections, but unless you are custom building and have a fantastic low voltage guy, no one will ever look to drop a Cat5/6/7/8 to a sprinkler timer location. For us in Arizona, most often this is outside somewhere on the side of the house.

1 Like

I agree, SalisburySam. After going through the effort to replacing a perfectly good if outdated irrigation controller with Rachio 3 primarily through it’s touted HomeKit compatibility, after more than a year never being able to get it to even appear in HomeKit is more than frustrating. The offer to refund detracts from its other good features and an exchange or upgrade program for a Rachio 4 that actually works with HomeKit would be a much better solution. I’d sure feel less duped.

As it is on my home in SC. You can do Ethernet outside. And a LV PoE Cat 6 drop is a LOT cheaper to run than 120V. They are still wasting money on legacy coax wiring for CATV. Hell, until recently, many were still installing Cat 3 for POTS.

Unpopular opinion, wireless is NOT simpler to install/maintain once scaled up. Especially if there are multiple networks in overlapping territory that must remain independent and secure. Imagine a world where you install the wired router/firewall (usually a combo at the consumer level) in the network closet/cabinet, and 1 or 2 discreet wireless access points that simply plug into existing RJ45 jacks in the wall or ceiling. No wireless backhauls, mesh systems, etc. much simpler than what is “standard” in many homes today. Having Cat 6 and PoE as ubiquitous as bell wiring and coax would certainly simplify home IoT and encourage standardization. Right now we’re installing smart doorbells and thermostats on analog systems that were never meant to power these devices and implementing wireless communication to handle the smarts. Ask anybody who has setup more than one or two of these things and they’ll tell you it’s a mess. Insult to injury? I see a lot of installs where the bell/thermostat wire was just re-purposed CAT 5E cable anyways. (Facepalm)

Dropping Cat 6 with PoE for a sprinkler controller wouldn’t seem so out place if it was also the standard method of wiring Smoke Detectors, Thermostats, Doorbells (video), and of course, supporting TV streaming boxes. Going beyond the basics, it also works nicely for multi-room audio/video, lighting controls (how much money would be saved by eliminating labor and materials for running 120V wiring to each control/switch?), security systems , possibly even window treatments. Don’t forget major appliances too. Nobody is going to be powering the fridge off PoE anytime soon but IoT functionality over Ethernet would be fantastic vs trying to design a reliable system taking into account everyone’s wireless hardware. Which will range from enterprise grade all the way down to grandma running the combo box her ISP threw in the cupboard 12 years ago.

Unfortunately, the smart home industry is never going to include wired network connectivity if the building industry doesn’t move forward from 1980’s era connectivity.

I’m aware that you can do ethernet outside…it is a matter of someone running a drop there during construction. Where mine is, it WOULD NOT be an easy drop with the lack of good attic access to that area, plus an exterior wall with insulation and fireblocking, etc. Again, I’m not arguing with you on wired/wireless…I just had my house wired during a remodel to take some of the wireless load off my network. More and more IoT devices are going that route, so I’m going to relieve as much of it as I can in the way of TV’s, audio equipment, computers, cameras, wired AP’s etc…I’ll be working on deploying a full Unifi system here in the coming weeks.

I’d be curious to know if PoE can handle the power requirements for Rachio? Even with 802.3bt potentially putting out 100 watts, I’d be curious if that could be turned around power multiple solenoids.

1 Like

Rachio should reach out to Eve for help with HomeKit or for the Rachio 4.

@dane

2 Likes

Oh it’s all good. Lots of enthusiasts like you out there setting the example for what could be if we standardized wired network connectivity into building codes or just plain best practices.

I’m just triggered that we’re still building new mid-range to upper-mid range homes without a single length of wired network connectivity in them in the year 2022. Subsequently, homeowners that want IoT connectivity are using engineered work-arounds for legacy systems (utilizing wireless to varying degrees of success) all while the builders say there’s not enough demand to install wired systems.

That is because wired infrastructure is viewed as old school, and wireless is the future. While a totally incompetent way of thinking, it is what it is. Wireless mesh systems with wireless backhauls are flooding the market, and they, for the most part work well. Single SSID’s for 2.4 and 5ghz cause issues with some devices, but it isn’t until someone gets their wireless network overloaded that they start to see real issues with performance.

You could use a powerline adapter, that would turn your mains power into a means of transmitting data.

@MasterMech and @tmcgahey - we just built a new house 2 years ago and I made sure there was plenty of wired network connectivity. The builder had a relationship with an A/V company that they send everyone to in order to pre-wire the house for network and A/V, so I wouldn’t say that new mid-range homes are not building built with wired connectivity. This was a national homebuilding company and not a local company and I think the standard plan had a set aside for some wiring. Yes, the house does have 3 wireless access points that have wired backhaul, but I put in wired connections where I knew there would be connectivity - bedrooms, media rooms and office areas. Maybe I’m just an old school computing science geek that loved to program in assembly language back in the day.

It’s not advertised HomeKit compatible now.

1 Like

I must admit I miss everyone! @Macsterguy and his solid HomeKit performance and all!

Hey Gang!

It’s still working Perfectly :+1:t3:

I really do think people should have another look since Apple has updated the HomeKit architecture in 16.4 !

1 Like

Sooo envious. I updated the HomeKit architecture during the 35 seconds it was available back in December. Siri’s speed has improved but smartplugs going “No Response” has not. Also, my two Nanoleaf bulbs both went NR about a week or so after the new architecture went in.

@SalisburySam - on your iPhone or iPad try to forget your network and sign back to your network again and on the Rachio controller reset your network and see what happens my have been working ever since Rachio made it available for HomeKit going few years back everything throughout my house is HomeKit probably 150 + devices and everything is working great no issues so it’s worth a try

Interestingly, since I’ve moved to a new house and installed another Rachio, I haven’t had any “Not Responding” issues. The WiFi signal isn’t great in my garage, but at my old house the Rachio was outdoors connected via a mesh WiFi node that had a decent connection.

This seems to indicate that latency and coverage is probably what is causing the issues with HomeKit.

I was doubting myself when I purchased another Rachio, but so far so good for the last 4 months