Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

And now for the 1701st post to this thread… As the OP I am finding that since downloading iOS 16, HomeKit is totally fixed and working perfectly.

How about everyone else?

I think this is your 1,701 post saying the same thing. We get it bro, Tim personally sent an army of Apple engineers to your home and configured everything for you - including your Rachio!

I am joking, I have also found iOS 16 feels more stable overall with HomeKit but for me HomeKit overall works well with a few exceptions, Rachio being one of them. I am looking forward to the new architecture expected with 16.1.

3 Likes

Here to also report that iOS 16 does seem more stable. My Rachio hasn’t connected in weeks and I upgraded my phone earlier this week, but didn’t think to check Rachio status in the home app. Checked and it shows the status and allows me to control the valves. Nice! See if it stays lol

1 Like

Same, working correctly and perfectly under iOS16.

But mine was already working well other than not displaying the controls unless I did a long press.

My iPad and Mac are not updated yet so still have the old interface.

On a side note, the Rachio connected after a power cycle after replacing my Gateway/Router and has been even more stable since replacing the Gateway/Router after my old one died.

Hahahaha! I was having lots of problems back when I started the post 25 years ago… I think we should have a group get together whenever this problem is fixed and I shut down this thread!!!

1 Like

I guess I have missed a step here.
Since installing I can’t even get my Rachio 3 to appear in HomeKit.
Can someone explain to me like a third grader, what I need to do to restart so I can attempt to Connect Rachio 3 to my Home App again?
I have limped through using the Rachio app itself, but the whole reason I yanked out the working control head and replaced with this in the first place was to use it with HomeKit.

This is for iOS 16 and assuming your controller is on your Wifi network (pref 2.4 GHZ):

1. go to your R3 controller
  2. open Rachio app and open your controller
  3. touch “more” at the bottom
  4. go to “controller settings”
  5. go to “HomeKit”
  6. make note of “HomeKit code” (used later)
  7. touch “Add HomeKit Accessory” - this opens the Apple “Home app”
  8. touch the “+” button to add accessory
  9. touch “more options”
  10. touch My Accessory Isn’t Shown Here
  11. touch “Enter Code”
  12. ENTER CODE (from step 6)

Let us know how that works for you…

Good Luck!

2 Likes

Thanks! I will!

Get to step 12, and it doesn’t find anything. Have had this same issue for over a year now…

3 Likes

So far that’s my experience too.

1 Like

I’m tapping out of this thread. I honestly don’t think Rachio will ever fix the original problem. I’m currently using Homebridge and it works just fine. If iOS 16 is more stable, great! The fact is, this threads will no longer be helpful in fixing the issue if there still is an issue. Thanks everyone who contributed and pressed Rachio to try and get this sorted out. Time to move on for me as I have some options now with Homebridge and potentially iOS 16 if I want to try to go nartive again (doubtful).

I Can’t say that I blame you…

A long time ago mine would fail at step 12 also. I found that when I tried a second time during the same attempt, in other words, when it doesn’t add it to HomeKit click cancel and try again without starting over, it would work… Don’t ask me why but you might give it a try

Go steps one through 12 and try a second time at step 12

Been quietly following this whole saga for a while and after todays news I’m a little bummed. Even though I’m a huge HomeKit user I think I’m going to stick with my Rachio. They still do their core job well which is watering my lawn. I am still really bummed that the Homekit functionality is what sold me in the first place.

1 Like

Today’s news? What is happening now? Did Rachio give up or did Apple pull the plug?

This was in the official thread part 2 -

Hi everybody. This will be the final HomeKit post for a while. We’ve put a considerable amount of effort into determining the root cause and possible solutions for the “No Response” error that some Rachio users report when using HomeKit.

We’re sorry we have some disappointing news. We are suspending this work indefinitely. We understand the disappointment and frustration this will cause some users and we want to make this right for you.

For any user who is unable to use HomeKit with their Rachio and would rather use a competitor’s product we will reimburse you the cost of the Rachio controller after receiving your controller. You can email [rachiohk@rach.io](mailto:rachiohk@rach.io) to get this process started. Please include your shipping address and a copy of your purchase receipt. We will provide you with a prepaid shipping label to send your Rachio to us. We will reimburse you the amount of the purchase as shown on your receipt.

We did not make this decision lightly. Although it seems like we have come closer to determining the root cause, our recent findings have led to more unknowns than answers. We are going to focus our efforts on improving our users’ core experience and building out our product offerings in software and hardware. We are excited for what the future holds as we expand our product line and features over the coming months. We hope you’ll stick around for that.

If HomeKit integration is a deal breaker we will make it right. As mentioned above, you can reach out to us at [rachiohk@rach.io](mailto:rachiohk@rach.io) if you feel that you need to move on from Rachio.

OK, so there we have it… It’s OVER!!!

I started this illustrious thread a long long time ago. I’m not even sure when and I don’t have time to scroll to the beginning :joy::joy:

I’m going to miss some of you guys…

I think the Rachio controller is a good controller and I’ll probably stick with it but this may be a good time for anybody that would like to make recommendations to those who would want to switch to another brand and move on…

Ive got lots of smart HomeKit stuff in my house and most of it works well but it’s getting older and getting replaced with newer items all of which cost too much $$$ when you can just get up and go turn on the light o water the grass, or whatever… Then there’s a question of the new “MATTER” technology which may come someday…

It’s all beginning to look like a great way to waste some money if your into that…

I do know one thing. My wife doesn’t use any of it so if something happens to me after a couple of weeks she’ll probably be sitting in the house in the dark, the TV won’t work, the grass will be dead, she won’t be able to leave through the garage because the door won’t open The front door won’t either…The cameras will stop working… She’ll be forced to sell the house because she can’t use it… All this as she thinks terrible thoughts about me and what I’ve done to the house I’ve left behind… :weary::sob::joy::joy::joy:

It’s been a long road guys. I think we should have a get together somewhere around water. Maybe have a water balloon fight or something as we spend stories about smart irrigation controllers… I don’t know, Something to do with water… Hey! Beer is liquid so then there’s that too!

Chris Jones - aka the Macsterguy,
Thread OP - outta here---------->

7 Likes

I started the return process and was informed that reimbursement will come in the form of an Amazon Gift Card.

I should probably write to Rachio, but if anyone here already happens to know, perhaps the turnaround will be quicker.

Based on today’s post, it looks like Rachio is parting ways with Homekit support. I don’t see any mention of Apple/Homekit in their official integrations blurb:

“Works with, Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Alarm.com, SmartThings and more.”

It’s been working reasonably okay for me, but I’m wondering ifl the next firmware update will actively remove all support and make it absolutely stop working?

I love the airport Wi-Fi. Actually just added another one that I picked up off of eBay.

But as I already have six, I don’t see needing any more.

Why are you selling them anyway? What are you replacing them with?