Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

I don’t understand the technical issues, so can’t vouch for the credibility of these posts. However, I hope that some of you find one to be useful:

Oddly enough most of my ‘No Response’ issues went away when I upgraded from a Time Capsule to a mesh-based router system. You’d think the Apple router would work better but, I suppose not.

Don’t want to jinx it but so far no problems with my v3.

1 Like

I have three airports and no issues with HomeKit (besides this) so I think it is more about placement and coverage.

1 Like

I would imagine that there a lot of routers out there over 10 years old. I’m not saying it’s everyones problem with these Rachio issues but updating routers may fix many…

I hated to see Apple stop making TimeCapsules and Airports. I owned and supported many of them in my business, employees homes, family and my home. Rock solid. Still use a couple in bridge mode just for laptop backups.

When I found out that Synology mesh supported TimeMachine backups I replaced them all. Now with all the choices in mesh it’s time to update.

I still use my TC in bridge mode as well. Maybe one day I can hide a rack mount in a closet and go all-in on Synology.

Good point Stewart - The first post in that article is a good one. Fixes many issues and a great troubleshooting step:

“reset network connections (settings>general>reset>reset network settings) on the phone”

I don’t think routers were the issue. Up until last week, I had a Google Wifi Mesh system that worked quite well, but had some LAN congestion issues when airplaying to 9 homepods. Rachio never worked with this setup. Last week I upgraded to three Eero Pro 6’s which solved my LAN congestion issues, so I thought it would be a good idea to try re-adding my Rachio to HomeKit. Unfortunately, it worked for about 5 minutes and then went back to “no response”.

What’s even more interesting is that my Eero shows the manufacturer of all my devices, and both my IKEA blind’s gateway (which was updated to work with HomeKit last year) and my Rachio are both showing that the manufacturer is Murata Manufacturing Co, Ltd. I haven’t had any issues at all with my IKEA blinds / gateway.

I’ve never been able to understand why my Rachio works so perfectly, all the time, and the best I could ever come up with for a reason is my synology router. Other then that I have no idea BUT mine “Just Works”…

1 Like

Hahaha :joy::joy: So when everyones Rachio starts working mine will stop :joy::joy:

I think the issue is with whatever device is doing the routing. My Airports are all in bridge mode so my U-Verse gateway does the routing.

Mine is working perfectly since turning off IP6 in my gateway.

It did go down the other day for twenty or so minutes but reconnected without me doing anything.

Definitely not an issue with what device is doing the routing, it’s a software issue 100%. Ikea launched their smart blinds without HomeKit support back in 2019, and last year they released a firmware update that included HomeKit. If this was a routing issue, Ikea blinds would also constantly disconnect just like rachio does, but they do not, they have been solid for me and everyone that has done reviews about them. Let’s hope the new upcoming firmware has truly solved all the “known” mobile and platform issues.

I meant just with the rachio.

I have a lot of devices and the rachio is the only device with issues.

I def think, I know, that its a Rachio firmware issue for most BUT mine works perfect on firmware v. 5-632 / 2.4 Ghz from inside my network or outside my network.

AND, when the last beta push bricked my controller (remember, it was working fine) and Franz replaced my controller (within a week) the second controller has worked perfectly ever since on firmware v. 5-632 - Very strange indeed…

**NOTE: IPv6 TURNED OFF SINCE ROUTER SETUP

Interesting about the 2.4 Ghz channel. I brought this up many posts ago, but there was no real feedback from anyone (other than some criticism). Mine is on the 5 Ghz channel because of my Wifi coverage, and i know HomeKit accessories (other than apple hubs) seem to have less issues on the 2.4 Ghz channel. Neither Google Wifi nor Eero have a way to disable 5 Ghz for specific devices, so I’ve wondered if that’s what has caused my issues.

I can turn my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks on/off. I can also assign devices to either network using traffic control in the Synology interface. I have tried this in the past while testing Rachio (back when I was having issues) and actually seen my Rachio work on 5 GHz (also 5-1 GHz) but as things are now it joins on 2.4 without my intervention as I have traffic control turned off. I assume this Synology joins the Rachio on 2.4 because of distance from the nearest router mesh node…?

Synology works so well I have had no need to turn it back on. When I return home (and with some free time) I could test by simply turning off 5 GHz. Maybe this weekend…

1 Like

I have reached out to a # of customers on the original beta list and the engineering team has sent new HomeKit firmware.

If there are no issues we will continue expanding the beta to an eventual wider rollout.

:cheers:

5 Likes

I also want to thank everyone for their patience in this journey.

4 Likes

How many beta testers do you have? I signed up, maybe 6 hours after you initially posted the signups (months ago maybe late last year) and never got any update pushed to my controller. Do you only have like 4-5 current testers because I can’t imagine hundreds of beta requests for this as its about 10-20 people posting in this thread requesting betas…Whats another few weeks of waiting

DM me your serial number and Ill have the team perform the :mage:

Hundreds? More like thousands! :wink:

:cheers:

2 Likes