Hard reset Rachio 3, Still "Boot Error One"

Same issue it seems. Bricked 1 hour after installing!!! It all worked fine for the first hour, zones triggered and everything was happy. Then it rebooted and never returned. Has anyone found a fix? Seems ridiculous that it needs to be replaced for a firmware issue.

So now in 2022 I have this same issue. Is there any resolution? I have a hard time believing in a tech company that bricks units after a power outage. I did just send an email to start the RMA process.

Exact same problem for me on two units. Also outside US. @rachio - time for a fix, please!

Mine just bricked for the second time. Once last year and now again this year. I want to like and keep the Rachio but I can’t risk my grass burning up if these controllers keep dying at random times.

Same happened to my Rachio 3. I thought that a 200 USD controller would last for more than 2 years. After a power outage my controller lost wifi signal but continued running schedules. I contacted support who told me to perform a factory reset. After that, my controller got stuck on the first quadrant blinking a white and then red light and never worked again. Rachio does not want to replace my unit because the warranty period has expired, but they should because this is a product design defect, a hidden defect which they are aware since at least 2018 but did not do anything to solve it until now. They are violating consumers rights by not explicitly communicating this defect in the product’s sales description and I will definitely assert my rights as a consumer.

1 Like

Have you resolved this with Rachio yet?

Same happened to my Rachio 2 out of the box. I never got past blue light blinking in quadrant one, hard reset will not complete the circle. I let it sit for more than two years before installing it, so it is out of warranty. They will sell me a Rachio 3 for $125 plus tax.

This just happened to me, but I’m just past 6 months past my 2 years and am up the creek. They won’t replace it and want me to buy a new one. Considering this issue is so prevalent I don’t think I will be spending more money here. Like others have said, we expect these things to last more than a couple of years. Since it seems prevalent there should be a recall or some other means to address it beyond the warranty period. Bummer.

2 Likes

Same issue on my Rachio 3 date code April ‘22. I’m getting a new one - great phone support experience - but worried next power outage will result in another failure. Wondering if this could be electrical overstress (EOS). Unless the FW bug is somehow inherent, I expect it would be resolved on units shipping 2 years after being reported on this tread.

2 Likes

I have the same issue. Two Rachio Gen3s, same problem. Outside the US so Rachio refuse to do anything. This is a joke, the problem exists since 2018 and no solution.

Maybe it is time to make a noise, no company should be allowed to be this bad.

1 Like

Where do you call? 8444RACHIO does not work.
EDT:
Never mind I found it.
If you’d prefer phone support, feel free to give us a call at 844-722-4411

We are many people having same issue. We can’t pass the flickering yellows light flashing. It keeps on saying error. I have been explained that ever since our wifi started sending us 5 G, our smaller smart devices ( Rachio o e of them) cannot be reset because we need to receive a maximum of 2.4 G to be able to reset. I have called our local server and they cannot do it from their end. Rachio claims we need an old iPad or old iPhone which can receive a max of 2.4 … that is very hard now. This is urgent. Temperature in San Antonio is over 100… we can loose our whole landscaping.

So - I made the investment for an irrigation system because I travel a lot and am gone during the summer months. Now, for the second time I have had this issue. Same as others, there was a storm, power outage, then my system went offline. Wi-Fi checks out fine, it was actually blinking in the third quadrant, then when I had someone at my house helping me while away troubleshoot that quadrant, it then defaulted to a first quadrant boot error. So, then I try to clear that issue out by doing the unplug and plug back in thing and nothing. It just continues.

So, will my preset schedule still run even though I have this quadrant one problem, it is offline, and I have unplugged and plugged it back in so I can deal with this when I am home in a month, or am I now without a system for a month until I can AGAIN install a new controller!?!? Help!

Not sure what type of schedule you have, but fixed schedules will run indefinitely with no internet connectivity.

I have same issue on my Rachio 3 controller with iro3-firmware-hk-5-632 firmware. So this problem does not seems to be fixed.

My comptroller just stopped working. I had no power outage. 1.5 year old device. So it looks like something wrong with HW design.

Rachio team, is this somehow related to the environment in which is this unit running? For sure it must be running indoors or in outdoor case.

I do not know if re-flashing may help. But if Rachio developers think so, then they could give us some instructions how to do it.

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same issue for the second time. A few weeks ago I installed the replacement unit I got from Rachio support and was working until a few days when we had a power outage. From then on the controller is stuck at the first light. I sent the support email using the app and probably Rachio will send me a replacement unit. I don’t think this is the only way to solve it. I live in Chile and each time this happens I have to find a way to send the defective unit to Rachio in the US. I would think that after years of having this problem reported Rachio would have found a stable more efficient solution.

I’m also impressed that after many of users reporting this issue, no formal Rachio representative is replying.

I’ve had Gen 1, 2, and 3 units running in outdoor enclosures here in AZ for up to 6 years not missing a beat. In each case, the outdoor enclosure is hard wired back to the electrical panel, and the Rachio wall wart is plugged in inside of the enclosure.

If you controller has no power, then it is likely an issue with power supply. The issue in this thread is a boot error (unit powers on, but doesn’t fully make it through the boot sequence), almost always caused after a power outage.

What power supply are you using?

I’m using the following:
Input: 230 v 50Hz 100mA
Output: 24 VAC 650mA

I was going to buy this system until in the process of researching to learn more I came across this thread.
I only made an account on this forum to expose the impact of poor customer service, considering that this is a problem declared in 2018 and no one from the company has given a formal response in this thread at least. Now I’m going to evaluate Rainmachine and/or Orbit