Gen 3 won’t connect to wifi

I would try creating a dedicated guest network (one band, no range extender) and see if you can connect to that.

:cheers:

Hi, thanks for the debug info.
I finally make it work.

This is a new installation, with my android phone.
I tried the various suggestions people shared in this thread, and for me it particularly requires

• Create a 2.4GZ network
  • Try different phones until you found one working

The need to find and use different phones is particularly tricky.
As my phones are both running android pie and the latest rachio app version, yet my primary phone does not work, while the spare phone works.

Would recommend to provide a manual way to install without using the app.
Like, we can just use laptop to connect to rachio’s wireless ssid, open up a /config page, and type the home network information. Then rachio can connect to wifi.

Once rachio can connect to the internet,
the rest of the rachio app is pretty good so far.

1 Like

I agree that the present method is unreliable and clouded in mystery. But IMO for “us” (the community) to modify the firmware to add the /config page would take a huge reverse engineering effort and the result would conflict with Rachio updates, so the /config approach would realistically have to be implemented by Rachio (and backported to Gen 1 and 2 devices).

Far more practically, “we” could create a web page, hosted on the internet or posted as an attachment here, that would contain the config form. It would request SSID, network type and password. When the Submit button is pressed, some JavaScript would mimic the provisioning sequence performed by the app. We’d include some diagnostic info; if the process failed we’d have a clue as to what went wrong.

I believe that GitHub - htroche/AndroidMarvell is the Java code that the Rachio Android app uses to provision the controllers. Although conversion to JavaScript is simplified by the availability of JavaScript implementations of Curve25519, the remainder is more than I’d like to tackle now. Would you (or another member reading this) be interested in helping?

Thanks! This worked!!

1 Like

Hi, I am having the same issue. I can’t connect my Rachio 3 to my wifi.
background:

• Replaced my Rachio. so, it is new device on my old account.
  • my network info:
    -SPECTRUM MODEM E31T2V1 DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA
    -Wave 2 SAC2V1K Dual Band Route
  • Android phone. Samsung Galaxy S8+
    I have tried to connect being unsuccessful
    I have also tried to add a WiFi Range Extender (AC750 WiFi Range Extender RE220) thinking it was the Dual Band even though the signal is very strong where my Rachio 3 is at.
    I have tried the following steps:
    -Take off the controller faceplate. Hold the Wi-Fi button down until the light bar flashes from white to blue When the lights bar is pulsing yellow tap next To a select a network. the I get the error.

Thanks in advance

Can you run this and provide the code? I will have the engineering team review.

Also, sometimes trying a different phone or tablet (if available) can produce different/favorable results.

Code: WYVZ7G7V
I tried with an Iphone and it something a little different. Instead of looking for tje network as it does on Samsung, it looks for the device but it comes to the same conclusion, can’t update the wifi.

Thanks

Franz, I tried to add the controller to the network by:
If you’ve got a Mac
Make sure you’re Rachio controller is showing the orange second quadrant blinking. Open up the WiFi settings on your Mac and you should see your Rachio-XXXXXX listed under the networks. Click on your Rachio and a new window will pop up asking you what network you’d like to add the Rachio too. Click next once you’ve selected your network and it should get your controller online.

Now, the device is in the third quadrant blinking white, but it has been like this for an hour now. Any advise at this point?
Thanks

I had the engineering team review the code. Can you create a dedicated network (2.4g) and try connecting to that? The 2.4g/5g with same network names might be confusing the WiFi module.

I would also try connecting directly with the router and not the range extender.

Hope this helps.

Long time Gen1 guy here. Just bought a Gen 3. Installing it today. Could NOT get that thing to connect to the wifi for the life of me. I tried everything I could think of. NOTHING worked. Spent a couple hours on it. I was about ready to box it up and send it back. Finally, I saw someone here posted to simply try another device (I have been trying it on an iPhone 11 Max running 13.4.1). I decided to try my iPadPro 11 (running 13.4.1). Bam! It work flawlessly, on the first try. Working great. So… It is definitely worth trying to use a different device.

Just FYI, my wireless network consists of a Synology RT2600/MR2200 meshed network with a single SSID for all nodes and antennas (2.4 and 5.0).

I had a problem on Friday with a new Gen 3 getting it to join on WiFi with the iPhone 11 Max running 13.4.1 and a Eero Mesh setup. I grabbed a iPad Mini 3 and was able to get it to work that way.

After that, I got bit with the Homekit bug and was playing around with the Gen 3 before actually installing it to replace my Gen 2.

One thing I noticed is the Gen 3 came with older firmware and it updated itself once it got it setup. As I messed with Homekit, I removed the Gen 3 and re-added it to the Rachio app using the iPhone and it worked fine on that attempt. Only thing that changed was the firmware update.

It would appear that the wifi joining issue is fixed with the latest firmware but getting online to pull it down is the trick I suppose. :slight_smile:

But then, HomeKit breaks… :frowning:

Same problem here… This is what it took to resolve it

1. iPhone 11 Pro would not work. It would get to the “connect to your WIFI” and then Time out.
  2. Mac worked, but could not finalize account (since it has to be done on a mobile device). Made it to the last bar …but then there was no where to get to the device activation.
  3. Ipad worked

The only difference is that the pop up of the airport setup came up (also on the Mac…but see item 2 for the reason for no result)…it did not on the iPhone

Hope that helps…It took an iPad to get me over the hump (and I tried probably 6 times with the other devices but kept hitting road blocks).

1 Like

I have the same issue as everyone on this thread. Brand new Rachio 3. My router sees it connected to the 2.4GHz band. But the rachio app says ‘unable to find your device’.

Help.

What type of mobile device are you using?

What do the light codes show?
https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003815533-Light-Codes-Rachio-3-
Does the device appear in your account at app.rach.io and if so, what state is shown?

Responses to your questions:

• I’m using iOS
  • lights code is ‘controller registering’ since 12+ hours
  • controller doesn’t show up in app.rach.io
  • RouteThis key: 6RTR53WR

What phone model are you using?

iphone XS Max.

Pls help else I will remove this brick and go back to the Hunter.

The iPhone XS Max should be able to pair the controller, its only the iPhone 11 we have seen issues with.

What is the error you are getting?

during controller activation and wifi settings, the app never sees the device. the controler blinks in ‘controler registration’ mode.

i can see the rachio from my router.