Gen 3 won’t connect to wifi

@Curtida1 - which flavor of OS is being used to attempt the setup iOS or Andriod (iOS sometimes works better)?

Has RouteThis been run to document the network (either from the app’s not connected banner or as a separate application)?

What mesh WiFi system is being used?

Same issue won’t connect. Netgear Orbi mesh network, iPhone, runs through setup iPhone then goes to a blank screen that has a next button on bottom that does nothing and a close or x on the top. If I close the screen then it shows the device in my country but offline. When I restart the rachio it goes to 2 yellow flashing light again. I have reset the network on the rachio multiple times, restarted router and get the same frustrating result

Run this and provide the generated code and I can have the engineering team review.

:cheers:

NT4KC9JM is my code

A lot going on with the network. I’d try creating a dedicated guest network on one band and attach the controller to that. If you can not use the range extender that will be even more helpful.

:cheers:

How does the app talk to the controller to send the settings? How do I know it’s getting to that step? I hooked up a dedicated hotspot single network and still nothing was different. My gen 1 worked just fine on this network.

Actually can you explain more about why you made the recommendation? Is it looking certain channels or ports to be open? I guess I don’t get why if the signal is strong, encryption is wpa/2 aes, and DHCP is on it would be the router

@Geekshot - what country are you in? By chance is your WiFi router using a channel that isn’t supported in the US? If so, can you change the WiFi channel to one that is supported in the US?

US and on channel 8. Bought another controller and noticed that the new one was sealed in the box. Home Depot must have sold me a returned defective one. The new controller connected right up no issues in about 60 sec like it should. When I return the controller I am going to mark on the box defective.

2 Likes

That was completely useless advice and un-necessary. I really with you would say why you are making suggestions instead of generalizations that lead to frustrations with the product. Surely something should have detected the unit was bad or had errors. My biggest complaint is the lack of diagnostic information

Same problem with mine as well both in 2.4 and 5.
Tried to connect multiple times and always get the same error “We could not find your Rachio”

Hi @Preetham3r - try to reset the Wi-Fi connection on your controller.

Take off the controller faceplate.

Hold the Wi-Fi button down until the light bar flashes from white to blue

When the lights bar is pulsing yellow tap next
To a select a network. It may take several
Minutes to connect

3 Likes

Thanks @Anthony, it worked :grinning:

@franz @Anthony

Experiencing same issue covered in this thread: New Rachio 3 controller will not connect to WI-FI.

Arris router located about 20 feet away from controller. Attempting to connect to dedicated 2.4 GHz network which uses WPA2-PSK (AES). Full bars showing on android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8). Have also tried 5 GHz network, and alternative Lynksis 2.4 GHz network used by all other household devices. Have reset Rachio 3 controller per app steps multiple times. “Route This Help” app used, with phone sitting on Rachio 3 controller, generated key ZZYBF3WJ.

Continuing to get “Oops, we couldn’t connect” error.

How do I get this connected?

@Muhnki - does anyone have an iPhone or iPad you can borrow just like @DLane - mention in this thread iOS works better than android if not than we will take others steps to get you back up and running

Lots going on here. I would start with disabling your firewall. Creating a dedicated, single band guest network might be the easiest solution.

@franz @Anthony

Thank you both for the quick follow up!

Late last evening I managed to resolve this ‘connect to WiFi issue.’ Long story short, I tried multiple other Android devices in the house to run the initial setup. Various versions of Android 8 and 9 were all unsuccessful, however an old tablet running Android 7.1.1 was successful on its first attempt. No other changes were made to the existing networks. So far has been smooth sailing since with the Rachio app on all devices. Hope this may help. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Using Ubiquiti APs in home environment. No matter what Gen 3 only connects to 2.4 ghz. Ideally would like it to use 5 ghz band, but doesn’t. Unifi AC Pro Gen 2 access point located within 10-15 feet of the Rachio Gen 3 unit. Using iOS 13 iPhone XS Max to connect. How do you get Gen 3 to use 5 ghz band?

If you have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz APs with the same SSID, I don’t believe that there is any way to tell Rachio which one to use. The provisioning process sends only SSID, password and security type to the controller. If you are interested in the details, see

I believe that the app to controller provisioning protocol under iOS is the same.

To force a 5 GHz connection, create an additional SSID in the Unifi and tell Rachio to connect to that.

However, IMO it’s more robust to give Rachio access to multiple BSSIDs on both bands. It won’t pollute 2.4 GHz much; typical usage is only about 60 kilobytes per hour.

If you are using a 5 GHz only SSID, I’m puzzled how it could connect on 2.4 GHz, because it wouldn’t know the password for any SSID other than the one you specified.

I am experiencing the same issue.
Tried both 2.4G and 5G network. Not working.

The controller flashing the yellow light, while the APP saying adding the controller.
It eventually gave up with the 'oops … ’ message.

There has been nothing wrong with the network.
Other smart devices can connect to the network without any issue.

The key is QF45ZZTJ

Do these networks have the same or different SSIDs?

New installation, or did it just stop working?

When you reset Wi-Fi on the controller, does it get to the state where quadrant 2 is blinking? See
https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010542788-How-do-I-update-Wi-Fi-on-my-controller-Wi-Fi-Reset
If not, describe light pattern. If yes, which quadrant is blinking after trying to add the controller?

Does the Rachio show as a connected device in your router? If so, if you open that IP address in a browser, do you see a
File / not_found
error?
If you attempt to access
https://mqtt.rach.io:8883/
in your browser, you should see a certificate error. If not, what response do you see?

What device(s) have been tried for setting up the controller?

Modem make/model? Separate router, if any? Separate access point(s), if any?