Rachio use in Europe

After having strong difficulties to find the right power adapter to connect a Rachio Gen 2 Controller in Europe, I realized that my former power adapter (used in a 20 years old Toro Controller) has the appropiate requirement (see picture below)

Nevertheless, due that the old power adapter is not compatible with the Rachio plug (a 2.5mm x 5.5mm Female barrel plug) I bought the appropiate barrel plug to solve the problem (see picture).

http://miniimg4.rightinthebox.com/images/384x384/201410/qtrrkk1412992714729.jpg

My question is, do I need to take care on polarity when connecting the old power adapter cables to the new barrel plug?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@guixers - it is AC not DC, so shouldn’t matter.

Very good news, thank you!

If you would like to get in touch with support@rachio.com, we may be able to find or supply you with a 220 V version of our AC adapter.

Not having seen the schematics for Rachio, nor having taken one appart, I can’t say for sure if there are any downsides to doing what I am about to say, use this knowledge at your own risk:

bad Idea, avoid

Theoretically it should be possible to connect the individual AC input cables to the SC and SP terminals of Gen 2 Rachio (polarity does not matter). This should theoretically be analogous to plugging the power into the unit, thus Rachio should power up and work as if nothing is out of the ordinary.

In this case, considering that you’ve already purchased appropriate barrel plugs, this will not be needed, nor advised. But I’m putting this idea out there so that @rachiosupport could let us know why it could be a bad idea :wink:

I’ve edited the post to get rid of this bad idea, due to the presence of low amperage components on the SC / SP path.

Cheers,
Gene

Thank you very much but I solved my problem using an old AC adapter. Nevertheless I will appreciate if your are able to recommend me an AC adapter to be used in Europe. I haven’t been able to find a compatible AC in Amazon, EBay, etc… and, as far as I have seen in the support forums, there is other European users with the same problem.

Cheers,
Guixers,

If you want to post a picture of the adaptor we would be happy to look it over to see if it fits the specs needed to run the device. Glad you found something that works for you though!

I’m using Rachio 2nd Gen in Poland. I bought this AC 24V 1000 mA (1A) power adapter for 14 EUR + shipping cost.

When will rachio official enter the europe market? I would love to buy rachio here in germany and use it with Amazon Eco.

@ChrisM We have no current timeline for officially entering the European market, sorry.

:cheers: