Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

@jseymour and @jonbrawn I appreciate the troubleshooting support and investigation. @Badxhabit @Crabgrass @zhazell I’m sorry that you’ve encountered the No Response error, especially after it appears to be working previously.

I am interested to know who is still getting a “No Response” after resetting the controller (Hold down the stop - square - button until the light bar fully illuminates) then re-adding to WiFi in the app.

1 Like

I made some progress. 1 full day so far with success.

I created a new wireless SSID for “IoT” that is only broadcasting over 2.4Ghz. Disabling the 5Ghz for this SSID. Connected Rachio to this wireless network (which is on the same “flat” network as everything else so every homekit device, iPhone, etc can talk to each other). I thought maybe since it kept connecting over 5Ghz that I would force it to the 2.4 band.

Well, it has stayed connected throughout the day and I’ve opened up the app many times while I’ve been home and away (Just have 1 apple TV hub) and it has connected, showing me the statuses each time. My drippers ran today and it was showing running and now it’s idle and says off.

Not sure if that is the root cause, but will report back later when more time passes. I’ve reset the wifi on the Rachio a few times before and that gets it to work for a few days before going back into a “no response” state.

1 Like

I am but its been some time since I did that full reset.

Really anxious to see if that makes a difference for you, @zhazell

As of this morning it is still connected and working inside the home app. Time will tell if it continues to work. I will report back if I have any issues.

1 Like

Thanks @alexrodriguez I’m trying to get a feel for the number of users in this thread where the reset troubleshooting does not resolve “No Response”. I’ve observed that users who get “No Response” fall into four categories 1) works but get “No Response” and troubleshooting resolves but occurs again at some point with some level of frequency. 2) worked for awhile, encountered “No Response” troubleshooting resolves 3) Cannot resolve from initial setup even with troubleshooting 4) worked for awhile then “No Response” troubleshooting does not work

Please keep me posted. If I am correctly recalling your previous posts you receive the “No Response” frequently and troubleshooting typically resolves, but then the error occurs again > troubleshooting resolves ad infinitum

I am using the Homebridge plugin at the moment but when I did have it setup directly it would “work” for about a week then the No Response would appear. If I unplugged the Rachio from the power - kept it unplugged for a couple of minutes - and then powered it on it would once again work. Note, if I plugged it in right away it would not work.

It hasn’t worked in months. Last time I reset the wifi and reconnected it to my network it worked for a day or two.

So now that I’m forcing it on a 2.4ghz network only, I’ll report back on how it goes.

As of this evening, it’s still showing up and reporting in the home app.

1 Like

Hi @dane I have a mesh network with wired backhaul Linksys Velop running split SSID with Rachio 3 on 2.4 GHz. Updated to the recent firmware and had a glimpse of the zone controls properly appearing in HomeKit App but it went away. Settings and zone enable/disable seem to work, just not the status within the Sprinkler chiclet which ran once.

Please let me know what you suggest trying?

I used to reset a lot when I first got my Rachio. It would sometimes resolve it temporarily, but would always come back to no response within a few days. At point I put it on a smart plug and would turn it off and back on once a day and this often helped, but then I needed the plug elsewhere. To add to someone else’s comments, I started using the Homebridge plugin and never had any issues with that. Now I’m using my duplicate mdns service and that’s been working too. In all of this, bear in mind, it never drops from the wifi network, only HomeKit. That point seems to get drowned out in a lot of the details here, so its worth saying it again.

As for the hubs, its an interesting theory and I’m waiting to hear the end-result, but when I got my Rachio 3 I only had a single Apple TV as a hub and the symptoms were present then. I’ve since added a few HomePod minis though.

That would more-correctly be called “MDNS spoofing.” You’re setting something up to spoof the MDNS response broadcasts you should be seeing from the Rachio 3, correct?

From what I’ve seen on my network, when an MDNS query broadcast is sent, the Rachio 3 always sends out an MDNS response broadcast.

This is one reason I continue to suspect one of the problems with HomeKit connectivity is network hardware interfering with the MDNS query/response broadcasts.

Why, for some people, this seems to impact the Rachio 3 more than other HomeKit-connected devices is something of a mystery, though.

Correct.

In an earlier post you noted:

I just ran Flame on my iPad. The Rachio 3 shows up. This after it having been on-line for weeks. It’s shown up every time I’ve run mdns-scan on my Linux box, too.

As I noted in an earlier post: Devices don’t send unsolicited MDNS service availability broadcasts. They send broadcast responses in response to broadcast queries.

Wow it’s June already?! Think it’s time for another update

1 Like

Just turned on the system for the summer yesterday. After a power-cycle on the Rachio and turning stand-by off my Rachio has been online in the Home app.

The Home app does say that there is an update for it: “An update is available for this accessory. You can install this update in the ‘Rachio’ app.” However, the Rachio app is not offering an update. My current firmware is iro3-firmware-hk-15-3.

Same here. Also, I have no control over the Rachio via the Home app. I see the device, it just stays “off” with no control options when clicking on the item.

I have to long-press on the Rachio icon in the Home app to get the controls for the different zones.

Single, short tap:

Single, long tap:

To me, this looks like something that could be improved on Apple’s side.

@zhazell, If I’m counting correctly, it’s been a week since you added a separate, 2.4GHz-only, SSID to one of (?) your APs, to which you associated only your Rachio 3, then added the R3 to HomeKit.

Has it remained connected to both your WiFi network and HomeKit, so far?

What is the longest you recall it remaining connected to both WiFi network and HomeKit in the past?

@jseymour Sorry for the drop off. Been traveling.

Yes, just checked again and it’s still connected! Wow. Never have I been able to see the Rachio in the Home app for longer than 2-3 days. But it’s still showing with the correct status when it’s running/off and able to control my zones.

I created a 2.4Ghz-Only SSID across my “site” (home), which consists of 3 APs. Rachio has remained connected to the closest one. Wonder what would happen if I rebooted that AP and let it “fail over” to the other APs… maybe a test for later, but the 2.4Ghz-only SSID has been working really well for Rachio.

1 Like