Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

These problems are absolutely not on Apple in any way. I know this helps no one but I truly believe that it will require new Rachio hardware or a completely new development team or both for this to ever be fixed as far as HomeKit integration goes…

Three things,
1) I think the Rachio app is quite good and that’s all I typically use.
2) I think Rachio should be honest and forthcoming about these problems or at a minimum stand up tall, raise their hand and admit defeat then apologize.
3) The Rachio controllers should be removed from Apple’s HomeKit page (if still there) along with any and all mention of HomeKit removed from Rachio product packaging.

For me, Other then my initial problems which prompted my first many post, Rachio & HomeKit “just works” on my Macs (3), iPhones (2) and iPads (2) (Mine and wifes). *It once worked on Apple Watch but no longer has the app…

I don’t know why Rachio and HomeKit works so well in my environment but it does. I stopped trying to figure it out a long time ago as I tried to help others any way I could.

Most Important of all - As the OP of this Long and Illustrious Thread,
I want to wish a Merry Christmas to all my Rachio friends!
On to a Happy New Year of HomeKit not working for many that want it to…

~ Macsterguy aka Chris

2 Likes

Same too you!

I use my watch to control my sprinklers all the time using Siri with homekit while working in my yard.

Soory, I had forgotten all about using Siri AND the HomeKit app on my Apple Watch. Rachio is right there with all the individual zones to water. I never use Rachio with HomeKit so I forgot…

1 Like

Wonder if they update today again with no news…?

Yup
Copy/paste

Rachio - appreciate your hard work on this and hope you make it work someday. This shows a stunning lack of progress though and as a consumer on the outside looking in could make me conclude that there is an issue of competence going on. In theory you have made a great product that otherwise does it’s job. In practice, this does not do Homekit integration.

2 Likes

So Apple has had their test units for over FOUR months now and still no updates?

Not surprised in the slightest.

Apple is the exact opposite of transparent. We obviously have no idea if they’re even looking at it and it would not shock me if Rachio also has no idea (ie Apple not giving Rachio any information).

Anecdotally, I’ve reported numerous bugs to apple in the last number of years. Most never get acknowledged and the only one that did was 2 years after I submitted it. Sometimes they just get silently fixed but not often

I’ve had my Rachio Gen 2 for 2 years. I cannot tell you how many times it has gone “not responding” in Apple HomeKit. I’ve wasted a lot of time assuming it was user error. In reading the history here, I’m surprised how many have stuck with this. The reality is that it will NEVER work. If it ever gets fixed, we are all just one firmware/new router/iOS update away from it crashing again. Unlike many here, I do not use the automated features. It doesn’t really work well, and overwaters the hell out of my yard. I want to be able to turn it on and off at will, and not have 9,000 apps on my phone to open and do just that. My light bulbs seem to work well with HomeKit; why can Rachio? Perhaps a sprinkler is just way too techy for HomeKit??

There has been some comments here and evidence suggesting the issue with the Rachio and HomeKit is based on a poor mDNS implementation. In most reports here, the device will be lost in Homekit, but never disconnect from WiFi and is usually the only problematic WiFi HK device. HomeKit relies on mDNS advertisers to connect to WiFi HomeKit devices. There’s also the further conundrum of how the Homebridge plugin works flawlessly, but the native integration fails.

I began to monitor this using a 3rd party app and realized the Rachio stops advertising on mDNS after a while. Until recently I didn’t think there was a way for me to fix it, but then I came across this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/s8bgsl/i_found_the_way_to_fix_frequent_no_response_for/
Take a look at the post. It suggest mimicking the device’s mDNS in a separate local service. It worked for me with my Rachio. I wanted to wait a while to be sure the effects stick before sharing here, but so far after a week it seems to have solved my “No Response” issues. It may not be in every user’s means to do this, but for those who like to tinker you may want to try it. One thing to note, if you’re using Flames or another app to get the mDNS details for the Rachio try power cycling and then move quickly and take a screenshot of the details. The Rachio can stop its mDNS advertising pretty quickly.

Rachio if you’re reading this, this may provide some insight what is happening here. Yes, we are still here, hoping you solve this before next watering season!

6 Likes

@dane please take a look:

Thank you for flagging @munpip214 and for taking the time to document your efforts @rcoletti116. I’ve shared this with the Engineering team.

3 Likes

This is not new

1 Like

Shhh. That would have required them actually follow and read this thread and have the technical knowledge to understand and then act on it…some or all of those are clearly missing.

2 Likes

We are now in 2022, and you keep claiming a fix is coming. Well, where is it? You said this in 2019. Not only did you dupe your customers by claiming HomeKit compatibility, you even benefitted immensely from Apple referring your product on its website and selling it in its stores.

Apple still sells your defective product as a HomeKit-compatible product, with Apple’s vast credibility and advertising muscle benefitting Rachio, despite that it doesn’t work with HomeKit.

Now, it appears Rachio has gone and completely disabled HomeKit in the device.

“homeKitCompatible”:false,“model”:“GENERATION3_16ZONE”,“name”:“Rachio”,

If you don’t fix the HomeKit functionality of the Rachio gen 3, I believe this is fraud and should be pursued in a class action lawsuit.

1 Like

Anyone know an attorney?

1 Like

Still no update? I wish they would just remove HomeKit from all branding and refund 25-50% for those who purchased it for HomeKit reason. I upgraded (haha) from 2 to 3 solely for HomeKit.

1 Like

Agreed!!! I did the same… only for HomeKit. The recent note in Reddit about the mDNS fix has actually kept my device on-line (no thinks to Rachio) as a work around. See – https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/so4rmr/update_on_mdns_lifehack_to_fix_no_response_for/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

1 Like

Just implemented this and so far it’s staying online. Seems like such a simple fix for Rachio.

1 Like