Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

What plugin are you using?

I have seen homebridge-rachio-platform, wish Rachio would provide direct access so developers could avoid things like this:

In order to support webhooks, you must know your external network IP address and have the ability to open/forward a port from that IP address to your internal Homebridge server (typically a modem or router on your local network). Please do not file issues to this repository related to network configuration issues.

That’s just the nature of webooks. It is amazing Rachio even bothered to offer webhooks. I use the platform you linked to. It works well enough.

I used this one:

When animal detected by camera, turn on sprinklers :slight_smile:

1 Like

This stuff is voodoo.
Last night I come home to much of the five Hue devices showing unreachable at random times.
Changed the batteries in the motion sensors even though they showed good.
Then I tried moving the Hue hub into a window trying to improve the signal. Didn’t notice that the cable I grabbed was an old Cat 3 cable. Plugged it into the Ethernet out on a wifi base station. Besides not fixing the issue I woke up to some of my HomeKit stuff randomly going offline including the Rachio and Logitech doorbell.

After doing some web searches I tried the suggestion of changing the Hue hub channel and pugging it back into the ethernet hun with a cat 5 cable everything is working.

So one improper ethernet cable caused random homekit issues and for whatever reason, the Hue needed a different channel. I think art uses ZeeBee to talk to its devices. I didn’t even know I could change its cannel plus why after working fine for years did it all of a sudden need its channel changed?

Neighbors turning on something new on their network?

I thought about that but this is a private houses and we are pretty far from each other ZeeBee doesn’t travel very far.

This reminds me of the days of playing with a crystal radio as a kid I’m trying to figure out what was the best antenna and where to touch the crystal.or putting aluminum foil on the rabbit ears on the television.

You can have overall 2.4 or 5 GHz band pollution, if there are too many devices trying to broadcast and receive on the same channel. Then too many packets get lost, because with the poor the signal-to-background ratio they can’t be decoded. That will result in repeated packet retransmission, which can slow down communication or even kill it.

This was a Zigbee issue, not WiFi.
Not sure if Wifi and ZeeBee use the same frequencies though.

The Hue stuff has always been a little flaky compared to Lutron stuff. I only got a Hue hub to use with their motion sensors as they make a really nice outdoor motion sensor. You have to have at least one Hue light or it won’t let you add the motion sensors. I have two outdoor motion sensors and one indoor motion sensor. As I had to add at least one Hue bulb and I got one color-changing E12 candelabra bulb that I use as a night light. Also added one Hue Smart Button to control a LIFX bulb.

Also unlike the Lutron stuff you can only have one hub so range is always an issue.

Here is something I found while trying to get everything as reliable as possible.

I have four airport expresses and one AirPort Extreme. I really wish apple had not discontinued Airports.

This all worked fine for wifi throughout the house and backyard. Then I added HomeKit automation throughout my house. HomeKit devices are a lot more picky about everything.

The AirPort Extreme is in my office next to my gateway plus an Ethernet switch. I have ethernet cables run through my attic to each of the airport expresses throughout the house. All the Ethernet cables come into my office.

This is where I found a major problem that was causing random HomeKit issues…

The gateway was plugged into the ethernet switch and the AirPort Extreme was plugged into that ethernet switch.

I ran out of ports on the ethernet switch so also used the three ports on the airport extreme.

When things were working well I would see the gateway feeding the airport extreme and airport extreme feeding the four expresses in the airport admin utility.

But then I would see funky things going on like one airport express connected to another airport express instead of being connected to the gateway restating the base stations would fix this but at some point it would happen again.

What fixed it for good was to not use the ports on the AirPort Extreme So that my entire Ethernet network was only going to one switch that was that being fed by the gateway. Seems the Ethernet switch and the ports on my airport extreme couldn’t decide what port to assign the MAC address of devices.

I hope I explained that somewhat clear. This is a screenshot of my airport admin showing all devices connected to the gateway like they should be.

I’m not having any HomeKit issues and no longer getting random slowdowns on my Wi-Fi.

It is truly amazing how many people still use Apple AirPorts.

If it ain’t broken why fix it.

My Macs backup to the drive connected to the Airport Extreme.
The speakers in two rooms of my home are connected to Airport Expresses so I can steam music to them.

I can’t even begin to imagine the nightmare of moving all my HomeKit stuff to a new WiFi Network.

I know at some point I will have to upgrade but as long as everything is working I see no reason to upgrade.

Zigbee uses unlicensed spectrum at 2.4 GHz, and so do Bluetooth, WiFi, some cordless phones, and microwave ovens. When we had the first 2.4 GHz cordless phone (ca. 2003) we would drop calls, when the microwave got turned on. Then FHSS, DSSS, THSS, and CSS, various forms of spreading signal over different frequencies within the band were implemented, and that disturbance went away. However, the more different sources crowd into the band, even those techniques improve signal transmission reliability.

1 Like

@Macsterguy: Lining up behind you with HomeKit integration that has yet to go down in five days.

1 Like

It’s so odd that since turning off IP6 in my router I have not had to re-add the Rachio. It still sometimes shows unresponsive but fixes itself.

Internet Protocol version 6** ( IPv6 )

1 Like

@DominikHoffmann: "When we had the first 2.4 GHz cordless phone (ca. 2003) we would drop calls, when the microwave got turned on.” - you know, the thought that enough microwave energy is escaping from the microwave to disrupt analog cell phone operation (which was using a fairly high power itself) might be considered a little worrying…

@jonbrawn: I have never felt the slightest of warm sensations near a microwave oven in operation, which should be the dominant type of interaction with biological material, because everything else would be off-resonance.

However, for it to interfere with very low-power signal transmission or reception, it only has to have comparable power levels escape from its imperfect Faraday cage.

@Tzterri: I think @gizbug is harping on your incorrect use of terminology: It’s “IPv6,” not “IP6”