Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

I miss-stated that. I don’t think the second generation requires the Leviton hub but will still work in your network with the first generation switches and hub

Neither of them require a hub.

What I was implying it that I’d rather not have a Chinese microcontroller directly connecting to my home network. The IoT with half of it Made in China is a PLA cyber warrior’s dream come true.

You are Correct again. I’ve had all this stuff so long and most of it works so well I’m starting to forget what I have. I confused it with the Phillips hue hub

Checking in again… whats the progress on beta firmware? do we need to sign up again?
I guess it’s time to look for alternative…

Nothing new to report. No new beta. Next official update on this will be next Friday. It looks like there are good alternatives so…

I’ve been lurking for a couple weeks hoping there would be a quick resolution but no dice. Looks like the mDNS is misbehaving on the Rachio. If you look at all the other devices, they respond to mDNS requests almost instantly. The Rachio takes nearly 30 seconds longer to respond and then goes back and forth with Add/Remove.

Macsterguy, are you able to run this command on your Mac to see whether yours gets added right away?

1 Like

Don’t think signing up will help. I’ve signed up 3 times (signed up day they announced beta sign up month s ago), and even sent a message to franz with my serial number. Have yet to see any beta pushed to my controller. Gave up trying, shouldn’t be that difficult to get into the beta program. By posts on here, the beta isn’t working out to great anyways :expressionless: Going to be another season with no HK it seems.

Well, at least I can relax in that it’s a known problem…

Wotcha!

Some of us have been relaxing for a l-o-n-g time! However, the latest firmware has been substantially more useful (for me - YMMV) than previous versions, so we’re moving forward. Just not very quickly.

Jon.

I also have SmartThings and HomeBridge running on a Raspberry π; I haven’t tried daisy-chaining from Rachio to Smartthings to HomeKit, but I may give it a try.

I can’t see the command in your screenshot. Can you give it to me again?

The command is: dns-sd -B _hap._tcp

This is interesting.
As so often it does the Rachio was offline on my iPhone. Putting it in airplane mode and back out causes Home to refresh and has been putting the Rachio back online.

Ran dns-sd -B _hap._tcp and the Rachio wasn’t showing until I did the forced Home refresh on my iPhone and then the Rachio showed up as it also came back online on my iPhone.

Is the Rachio going offline because it is going to sleep or something?

What are we looking for here? Timestamp? I have run the terminal command and number of times it comes up pretty much the same way every time. I rebooted my entire net work and after a few moments it was pretty much the same thing again.

My Leviton switches have been crappy since before I got the Eros!

Yours took 2 seconds to be found. If you left it running the command did it do a couple Add/Removes?

Your Rachio added immediately. No time delay like mine and Tzterri

Wotcha!

I did trial some Wemo switches - a bank of three of them side by side - and there where issues where you’d turn the left switch on and the middle switch would go off and do something bizarre involving flashing red lights, so I decided that they weren’t that fantastic. As always, it could have been a one-off hardware failure.

The other thing is that, so far, only the Leviton light switches have looked like light switches. The rest you either need to know how to operate them (e.g. Wemo, press the paddle to turn on, press the paddle again to turn off), or there are discreet on and off buttons (with more buttons for dimmers and fan controllers).

Which brings us back to the Rachio 3: It’s a good looking piece of equipment, I particularly like the magnetic front panel so I can have easy access to the Wi-Fi button during those period where I have to repeatedly reset the Wi-Fi.

How much do you think I could ask for a used Leviton DecoraSmart switch or dimmer?

Jon.

So this time to turn on is completely the job of the router doing the routing. Correct?

A home/garage would be best served by a router and/or mesh system with good coverage that is saturated in Wi-Fi.

It must come down to protocols i.e. firmware… The Rachio is defective in those regards?

My HomeKit devices in general work really well. One area (that I am blessed) is that my home is pre-wired for ethernet and everything that can be wired is wired.