Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

I’m thinking it is more of an issue with my U-Verse gateway as while our city is upgrading all our power lines before hurricane season my internet goes down for just a few minutes. This seems to result in the Rachio dropping off from HomeKit and often is a bear to get back online requiring not only holding down the wifi button but also restarting my gateway and AppleTV hub.

No ida why my internet going down would cause the rachio to loss HomeKit but it does.

The other thing that will cause the Rachio to go offline is if I have my iOS devices on the same wifi as the rachio when I leave my home and my iOS devices switch from my WiFi to cellular.

None of my other HomeKit devices have this issue.

Very strange Tzterri, It seems there is no rhyme or reason why it works for some and not for others… I just wish I could give my functionality to everyone else. I can come and go from my home ne work. As I move through the house my phone is handed off from one Wi-Fi mesh point to the other… I can switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz and never lose connection. I just don’t get it…

With 5 base stations all in bridge mode all hardwired to my gateway my wifi is very strong even in my front and back yard.

Yes, this is definitely a Rachio issue. Hopefully Franz and his team can get things sorted out.

![image|231x500](well now I can’t seem to get it back online and I’m getting a message that there is an update for it but don’t see anyway to update it when I open the rachio app that seems to have been updated to dark mode which I actually hate.

For me, Homebridge, as great as it is, defeats the purpose of the Apple ecosystem which is security and locally controlled. Homebridge relies on cloud based services and opens up a security hole in your network, especially if you set it up with the default settings. If you are using Homebridge, you may as well use Google or Alexa which would provide far better security.

1 Like

I think it’s bricked. Can’t get it back on wifi. Not reachable in the rachio app.

I just put new sod down this is not good.

I noticed that the Rachio app updated yesterday (I think)

To check current controller firmware version go to:
Rachio App / More (at bottom) / Controller Settings / Technical Info / Firmware version
*The current Controller firmware is: iro3-firmware-hk-5-632

Rachio can push a firmware to your controller with a call (if it is online)

I hope this helps - Chris

Looks like it was updated and is now bricked.

Unless that was old data, it appears to be online.

When you log in from your computer at app.rach.io , does the controller appear in your account? If so, does it show as online? If so, can you run a zone?

Nope

Stuck in standby mode

What happens when you click on the picture?

When you mouse over ‘turn off standby’, does it become highlighted? What happens when you click on it?

Have you tried power cycling the controller?

Not clickable
Power cycled it about a dozen times now

Please confirm that you have tried at least two different browsers.

When you mouse over the picture, does a URL appear in the status bar? Does the mouse pointer change shape? When you click on the picture and wait awhile, does an error message eventually appear?

Didn’t iro3-firmware-hk-5-632 release last year? That’s the firmware mine came with which still has the HomeKit problems.

I got it back online.
Left it unplugged for a while.
Held down the stop button which removes it from HomeKit.
Deleted the homekit icon for it.
This time when adding it back in got a very different light show that repeated three times. Then went green and red.
Then a few more cycles of it building the white bar that finally went blue.
Added it back into HomeKit.

It seems to be working.

Firmware still still the same

That is correct, 5-632 has been with us for quite some time now. Since last summer if I recall.

I’m anxious to see if your controller now behaves correctly or at least better than in the past

3 Likes

As some don’t seem to be having issues. I’m wondering if it could be due to the wifi security. I remember in the old days we had limits on names snd passwords or Window computers couldn’t log in unless the name and password conformed to windows requirements.

I wish I could see logs from the rachio to try to understand what triggers a disconnect and why it can’t reconnect when its power is cycled like all my other devices do.

The rachio is actually a hub with eight HomeKit switches. I guess nine if you count the pump switch.

I have a Lutron hub and a Hue hub that have never disconnected from HomeKit. If power goes out they reconnect as soon as power comes back on.

The one idea I’ve been toying with is to get another access wifi point. Set it up without security but hide its SSID as it would be an open network that would not need a password and putting the rachio on that network. I’d even give it a different name as it would be just for the rachio.

My house is wired with Ethernet so it would just be a simple case of plugging a base station near the rachio.

Might pick up an apple airport express off of eBay for this.

Just hate spending more money on this controller but my time constantly have to deal with it also cost me money.

If my U-verse router wasn’t on the other side of my house I would turn on its built-in Wi-Fi and do it with that but it’s too far away. I turn its wifi on for house guests.

Don’t use an open network. Hiding the SSID is no real security (will show up on most Wi-Fi scanning apps) and I don’t know whether Rachio even supports it.

If 2.4 GHz is not crowded in your area, I’d try something like https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-Extenders-Internet-Supports/dp/B08DHLCLCY/ (connected by Ethernet as an access point, not as an extender). If it doesn’t help your system, you can easily return it.

If you want the 5 GHz option, step up to https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC750-WiFi-Range-Extender/dp/B07N1WW638/ .

I already tried putting it on a access point that nothing happened else uses and that didn’t help.

So not much point in adding another access point if I’m gonna to put security on it as I already tried that.

Forgot about being able to find a hidden SSID with a scanner.

I wish the rachio had an Ethernet plug.