Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

Is there any update for this? I have been waiting for you to get this sorted out for about a year(others much longer). I find it very frustrating that you are still advertising your product as works with Homekit as it very clearly has issues. I grew very frustrated last year when your support staff blamed this issue on my network and were not forthcoming about this. It would be nice for your customers to know if this is going to be another 2 weeks, 2 month or 2 years before this gets resolved as your posts about it are quite incremental and never definitive.

Can you give us all an honest update so we can move on from this or know that a fix is imminent?

2 Likes

Since about 10 months ago (when they actually acknowledged that it was an issue on their end, and were able to replicate it) they’ve been decent at updating everyone and they literally just released a beta (opt-in) to resolve the issue (current issues with that beta aside), so I’d say a fix is more than imminent.

The other day AT&T was having issues with my Internet. For some odd reason if the Internet goes down the rachio disconnects from homekit and has to be manually added back in each time which makes no sense.

I am so frustrated with this device at this point.

How long from when submitting to test the beta until it’s pushed to our controller?

Good news, we have gotten past the issue previously that we were having on rolling the beta out to more controllers. Found a couple minor issues. Will start rolling this out more next week to folks who signed up.

This new firmware with the ADK seems to have resolved the homekit disconnect issue we were having before.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

6 Likes

Cannot wait to test this out!!

1 Like

I’ve signed up for the beta and am giddy at the prospect of having Rachio back in homekit! Thank you, @franz, for your persistence.

Franz, how do you want us to discuss the beta?

Isn’t that the idea of doing beta testing?

Plus let the rest of us know how this is going.

@franz When will you be adding more people to the beta?

1 Like

The first beta caused problems. In my case it bricked my irrigation controller… I was quickly shipped another controller and I am back at 5-632 which is working perfectly for watering my yard (as always) as well as HomeKit functionality…

Franz is aware of the problems that the beta caused for myself and some others… They are working the problems and I’m sure we will be informed in due time… Why would we want them to report something that is not helpful at this juncture?

In Franz’s update he stated that they fixed the issue and would be releasing the firmware to more controllers this week. Im simply asking when they will be adding those people since its almost the end of the week…

2 Likes

Reporting that is helpful as we are all in the dark here.

Actual I just finished adding mine back in yet again.

Wotcha!

Mine is a sad and woeful tale. For a while I did have my Rachio3 present and responding in my Home app. I could click on the controls in Home and water the mail carrier whenever she arrived†. Life was glorious.

And then I had to reconfigure my network quite a lot, moving a couple of the Eero mesh WiFi blobs around, updating their firmware, lots of that sort of stuff. Around this time my Rachio3 did a firmware upgrade to 5-632.

All of this messing about with the WiFi and firmware seems to have upset the Rachio3. It connects to the WiFi just fine, currently it is on the 2.4GHz network. Unfortunately when you go to add it to HomeKit the device never appears, so it can’t be added. Previously it would pop up for a few minutes after power cycling the controller and I could configure it and it’d work until something unbalanced the network environment.

One thing that some of you might be interested in is that when I have all of the Eero mesh wifi security features and eerolab beta features turned on then the Rachio has never ever been visible - to configure it I’ve always had to turn the interesting features off, configure the Rachio, and then turn the features back on.

†) I have never really done this.

1 Like

[I’ve just signed up for the Beta program - let’s see where that takes me]

Been waiting for the beta to be pushed for 2+ weeks now. Let us know if you ever receive it

1 Like

whats going on with the beta? can we at least get an update?

1 Like

They have been stringing everyone along for almost 2 years on this, you think they are worried about a couple of weeks? Would be a shame if a bunch of us got really upset about falsely advertising a product.

2 Likes

I’ve received the beta, and the first version bricked my controller… and they rapidly replaced it. So, once they found out that there was a potential to brick a controller, do you really want Rachio to keep rolling it out?

They have now resolved that issue and they are going to push out another beta.

Now, when I compare Rachio to Kohler who won’t even admit there is an issue, or Signify (Philips Hue) who keep just trying to offload me with BS answers, I’m glad that Rachio recognises there is a problem and are actively trying to fix it.

Not only that, you need to realise that not everyone had a problem. Some people did, and some did not. I can tell you as a tech professional, that is just about the worst case you can get as you have to try and work out what the common issue is… all remotely, on a consumer product where, quite often, the problem can be caused by the consumer themselves not RTFM.

In this case, they worked it out, started working with a 3rd party and realise that there was a complete re-write of their. code needed… not just a patch!

Lastly, I’d say that Rachio’s commitment to keeping us up to date on where they are in repairing the issue is exemplary. We’ve been getting almost weekly updates for months now… better than the usual cone of silence.

3 Likes

I seem to remember reading that use terminal on a Mac to open a shell into it and get it to reconnect. Then I could create an action to reconnect it if it fell off.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it automatically reconnected like all my other HomeKit devices. Sometimes, rarely, one of my delivers will fall off but all I have to do is cycle itts power and it reconnects.

I admit I don’t have a lot of knowledge of how HomeKit works. But why is it that it doesn’t reconnect when its power is cycled? Isn’t this just stored setting?

But honestly at this point I’ve been looking at what my options are for a different brand. I have around 50 HomeKit devices. This is the only one with issues. I really like this controller.with its weather based watering. Not sure if there is anything else out there with HomeKit.