Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

I tried to use a Homebridge plugin to control my SimpliSafe but it was for version 3 and I have version two so that’s when I went with my hardware hack. Did waste some hours trying to get it to work.

As far as the rachio the plugin would allow control of the zones but would not fix the issue of not being able to query the controller when it disconnects from homekit.

Honestly I’m pretty close to throwing it in the trash and getting a different brand. I still do some consulting work and need to find a controller that has solid homekit support. I’m already advising people to stay away from the rachio.

What kind of queries? Why do you believe it wouldn’t work? @Kubisuro noted that the plugin uses web hooks, presumably to receive notification of state changes and update its database accordingly, which should then be visible to you in HomeKit.

1 Like

As @Stewart mentioned, with the HomeBridge plug-in you wouldn’t use Rachio 3rd Gen built in HomeKit functionality to track state. The plug-in would interface directly with Rachio servers using their webhooks API and the plug-in would keep up with status of state that way. The plug-in controls Rachio using just webhooks, not any local HomeKit interface. Pretty smart use of HomeBridge to enable HomeKit on 2nd Gen and likely 3rd without needing any dedicated firmware code.

Without the rachio controlling watering you lose one of the main advantages of using a smart controller.

Not much sense in using the rachio to control the sprinklers without its soil and weather type watering.

For that I could just use 3 HomeKit plugs powering my three zone solenoids.

But it’s great you got something for earlier versions of the rachio to bring HomeKit to it.

I’ll often give up features if I’m able to bring some old device to HomeKit. Like what I did with my alarm. $20 worth of parts vs $600 for a new system. But my next alarm system will be HomeKit native.

What would be great is if it could be put back online using the Terminal application on my Mac.

I actually thought I read that thus wad posable. But can’t find it now.

Then I could write a script that would put it back online if it dropped.

This may be a good start:

However, that post is based on the controller being in the ‘awaiting Wi-Fi’ state, i.e. broadcasting its Rachio-xxxxxx SSID. You stated that when the controller loses HomeKit connectivity, it is still connected to Wi-Fi and is otherwise functioning normally.

I don’t know whether when normally connected to Wi-Fi, it will accept the POST request and if so, whether that is sufficient to reestablish the HomeKit connection. Try it and see.

1 Like

This is my situation exactly.The controller is solidly connected to WiFi, and I have no issues with the app itself connecting to the controller. I , like others, paid extra for the HomeKit compatibility.I can’t even get it added to HomeKit.

I have an NetGear ORBI with 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks. I suspect that might be an issue. The controller is on 2.4Ghz.

I have many other HomeKit devices, and not a single one has any problems.

1 Like

Yes, that is the page I was looking for.
Thank You
Going to try to find time to mess with that.

Who are you? You seem to have wealth of knowledge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s what works for me when the rachio doesn’t want to add into HomeKit.
Unplug it for a few minutes and then hold down th estop button until the display stops changing colors.
Reboot your hub and wifi base stations. .
If you have the non working HomeKit icon delete it.
Turn off cellular data on your phone.
Open the rachio app.
If the controller is not a solid white then hold down the wifi button on the rachio until the display is white,
Follow the the app’s steps to add it in.
Then open the Home app add it back into HomeKit.

The above works on the first try about 95% of the time.

Thanks for the tips. Am I misreading this thread or is Rachio about to release a firmware update to (hopefully) fix all the HomeKit issues?

They have been saying that for over two years now. :frowning:

Hey everybody providing an update. With continued testing we found a issue with updating WiFi on the controller and the new firmware. Hoping it is minor. Our firmware team will be reviewing this week and I will provide an update once we have resolved the issue and next steps on the rollout.

:cheers:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Franz. Please let me know if I can help with testing :+1:t3:

Mysteriously the problems I was having have gone away. Nothing changed, I did not even reboot the system, and it now appears and can be added as a HomeKit accessory!

Sometimes it takes a very long time before it registers with homekit and you’re able to add it in.

The primary reason I seek Homekit compatibility is so I can integrate my Rachio controller into home automations. For example, when I get a notification from my lawncare company, I have an automation which suspends watering until after the treatments are applied.

2 Likes

You actually can control “some” watering times in Rachio / HomeKit. Select home app / Rachio / scroll to the bottom and touch the gear icon / Select zone / select watering time 5, 10, or 30-min.

It’s not easy or elegant but you can do it.

Yes there is some control of how long a zone runs in HomeKit.

The only reason I bought this controller was due to advertising it had HomeKit support.

I can’t believe rachio is still advertising HomeKit support when clearly it is broken.

After two years of promising a fix stil not fixed so at this point I and only summarize that it is not fixable. They have even removed the forum support from the app so it’s harder to find.

It’s time to organize a class action lawsuit unless rachio would like to take back and refund everyone that bought this for its HomeKit support.

For me, my HomeKit functionality works perfect with very occasional disconnects at power losses… (and I never use it).

As the original poster of this thread I am aware of how long this issue has been around. I also know that Rachio is still trying to fix HomeKit compatibility. As long as they are trying, I will wait because I still think Rachio is the best irrigation controller on the market - bar none. Irrigation is the primary function for me…

You can do one of the following:
• Wait and watch
• Ask for a refund?
• Buy another controller
• Start a class action

1 Like

You say you never use it with HomeKit. What happens if you try?