Rachio 3 Not Responding in Homekit (Again)

“Apple is testing our debug units”
25486236-300x225

Now it is more a matter of principle.

2 Likes
1 Like

frabzfunny_4e776564ced7ddf6d8731a5fcebdf562
Who else is consumed by curiosity about what the issue is?
I wonder how many more months will go by before we get an answer?

A bit behind, does Rachio know what the issue is and Apple is testing the fix? Or is Apple helping figure out what the issue actually is?

Been here about a year and a half; after the internal Rachio engineers, the Cypress engineers (who make the wireless chip inside), and a contracted engineering group looked like they couldn’t get it resolved, I’m pretty confident they’re not sure what the issue really is and Apple is helping diagnose it.

In their defense, they did try quite a few things, including using Apple’s SDK directly instead of the Cypress SDK (which I assume would then interface with the Apple HomeKit SDK). They have released 2 (I think?) beta firmwares in the last 10 months; the first bricked at least one controller (Macsterguy’s, which Rachio replaced) and the second seems to have fixed it for some (the originator of this thread, Macsterguy) but definitely not for all (myself and most of the people still commenting regularly at the very least).

Official updates (and a much shorter thread as a result as only staff can post in it) is found here: The Official HomeKit Updates Thread - #31 by dane

1 Like

What @rpn314 says is all good and correct information. But I just have to add, the big take-away you should make from his post is that Macsterguy’s Rachio3 is working with Homekit normally. All is well at this time!

Works perfect sortof like a Clock!! Always connected and doesn’t miss a Beat!!
NO BETA FOR ME :joy::joy::joy:

The least they could do is make an official homebridge plugin.

Does anyone have this function for extend periods, if so what is your typology

1 Like

Mine works perfectly, too. It even survived a WiFi hardware upgrade. Same SSID and password, though.

1 Like

Some days are better than others…

So I guess Apple can’t figure out what is wrong with it either. :-/
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 6.11.40 PM

:sleeping:

1 Like

Is there a latin word for pain in the backside?

Google Translate seems to think it’s "Dolor in asino”.

Instead of calling the toilet “the John”, I call it “the Jim”…
That way it sounds a lot better when I tell people I go to “the Jim” first thing every morning…

1 Like

Maybe next summer…

Rachio controller app tech info say Band 5 put is connected to my unifi iot network which is 2.4 only. Not sure what band 5 is referring to maybe this tid bit can be useful

When they release Rachio 4…

1 Like

Another week on here where Rachio fails to give an update (They probably will now, seeing how we have to prompt them). I’m sure “Apple is still debugging the devices” like they have been for the last month.
Anyways, here’s to another season with broken HomeKit function (and a beta test that seems to have stalled/died). See ya next season in 2022, not holding my breathe though we will see this finally fixed. 2022 might be time for a new brand controller (about the time they announce v4 with working HomeKit,cough).

I think a useful interim solution would be to add an option to reboot the controller from the Rachio app. 99% of the time when I have HomeKit issues, the controller is still reachable from the Rachio app. Since restarting my controller is what fixes it every time, the ability to do this from the app would at least fix HomeKit until the next disconnect. Save me a trip to my shed, please.

I have a similar experience, so I added a Wemo plug to my Rachio.