Rachio 3 cannot connect to Wi-Fi

My controller is seeing the wifi network but will not connect. It keeps giving the whoops we can’t connect message. It is a 2.4ghz network and has good strength.

EDIT: looks like it is updating the firmware a second time. I will advise if it connects after that.

1 Like

@jwmote

I can have one of our engineers review your account if it does not successfully connect the controller.

:cheers:

Thanks. I will let you know. It updated the firmware then couldn’t connect now it is trying to update the firmware again.

Taking an excessivly long time to update the firmware.

@franz I might need help. it is getting to the third section when updating the firmware, flashing red once, then goes back to flashing blue. then it seems to go back to the second, then 1st then repeats

It has been stuck on updating firmware for about 15 minutes now.

@jwmote

Ok, working with engineering team, one sec.

@franz got it working. Apparently it was my router so I just hooked it to the wi-fi on the gateway instead of the router behind it and it is working now. Thanks.

@jwmote

Awesome to hear that! This will be helpful for future users. Have a great week!

@franz Yeah I have a Asus RT-AC88U behind a Motorola gateway with uverse set up for passthrough (essentially the gateway is just a passthrough and none of my devices actually connect to it. I have NAT on the Asus router. Usually don’t have an issue with it but guess the Rachio didn’t like it for some reason.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Gen3 and Verizon Jetpack

I had the same problem: Rachio 3 could not connect successfully with a FIOS Router. I told tech support I was running through a WiFi repeater (mine is a Netgear Nighthawk), but no one told me the solution above which was to connect to FIOS router directly. I tried everything: making rachio DMZ, lowering firewall security, setting up a guest network, etc… and nothing worked. 8-10 hours of troubleshooting including ultimately re-wiring my Fios access point to another area of the house closer to my Rachio and it finally worked. I’m now looking forward to see what the Rachio can do.

Franz and Rachio tech support: make this a high priority bulletin for all new customers. I was so frustrated with the Rachio that I almost had my sprinkler system installer take it back and give me a regular (non WiFi) controller. Seems Rachio needs to be in the home network business as much as the Smart sprinkler controller business. Get your helpdesk people to know the ins and outs of Fios and Comcast home routers intimately and you will save customers a lot of frustration.

2 Likes

Hi there - Just setting up my Rachio 3 and the app is unable to connect my Rachio 3 to Wifi. It has yet to be connected to the network…

trying to connect via ios…

Please let me know what other information you need.

Thanks!!

I have not been able to get my gen 3 to connect.
I setup a non password proceeded network to try to connect, and it didn’t find it.
Tech support hasn’t responded to email or phone.
This is a BAD product. I had really hoped it would be something worth using .

I don’t think we support non-password protected networks.

What error are you seeing during connection?

If you run this and provide the code I will have the engineering team review.

Franz
After I had installed the gen 3, I tried to get it to connect to a Fios connected router. 2.4 and 5.8 PW protected router.
After a number of failed attempts, I tried a non PE protected router, thinking it would help.
I did install the helper, didn’t run it. As I was waiting for “when instructed to do so”. Someone on the tech support team did call yesterday. They magically fixed it with out my being near the router to run the tool.
D

I believe in magic but not in software :wink: Any idea what they did to fix the issue?