Over seeding schedule for fall for cool weather grasses

I am new to using a smart sprinkler system and am presently using flex daily schedule with a rain sensor. This fall I plan on overseeding my lawn. What is the suggested schedule I should use once I overseed?

When I overseed winter lawn, I create up to 6 fixed schedules, with start times spread out throughout the daylight hours. This allows me to delete a couple waterings after a couple weeks, and a couple more in another week or two as the grass sprouts. Once most of the grass has sprouted, I delete all the fixed schedules and let Flex Daily take over (after changing to cool season grass).

This method has worked well for me for the last 3 years.

2 Likes

Ditto what @tmcgahey said – the only difference is that I only use 3 fixed schedules. All three run for one week, then just two for another week and then just one on the 3rd week. Then normally everything can go back to normal. I set my schedules up each year with a start date and end date so that I only have to do everything once.

2 Likes

@tmcgahey - @Linn - when you guys create the fall schedule for over seeding how many times a day you guys water 3 - 4 and how far are they spread out is it every 2 hours or every 4 hours thanks in advance guys

Here in Arizona, I usually start with 6, only because it is still pretty warm during the day, and the soil tends to dry out if I let it go too long between runs.

1 Like

I’m in NC with fescue where it is cooler in October, and I do 3 a day. One at 8:30am, one at 12:30pm and one at 4:30pm.

Another way is to create one schedule with a manual soak and water cycle. The example below waters 2 minutes every hour from 7 am to 7 pm. You can change the times to suit your needs.

1 Like

Thank you @Linn - I have cool season grass here in the east coast the grass just got power rake and seed it I was doing 8 minutes 3 times a day manually now I decided to do something more fancy and creat few schedule with an end day it should work beautiful

1 Like

What are your initial settings when switching to flex?

What’s the recommendation for root depth rate increase between germination and fully established?

I started flex daily at 2” after it all sprouted.

I was debating between increasing my root depth 0.5” a week or 1” a week.

Any suggestions?

What makes it stop at 7PM?

The total watering time plus the total soaking times.