IFTTT Integration

Hi Franz!

First off, awesome product! You guys are doing great work.

Could we add an action where we can enable/disable Watering Schedules?

What I want to happen is water my lawn that starts at 4pm, If at any time during the day, the temp goes above 100F.

Here’s my recipe idea:

1. Through IFTTT, I will enable the schedule if the temperature within the day gets above 100F.

2. Then create another IFTTT recipe that will disable the schedule at 11:59pm.

3. Repeat daily.

Let me know what you think.

1 Like

Thank you!

That recipe could work, but it’s a lot of work to add new actions :frowning: My other worry is people would forget to re-enable the schedule. :wink:

What if you just triggered a 24 hour rain delay action with your recipe? It would give you essentially the same results I think.

Thanks for reaching out!

:beers:

@zeroerrors, this is possible!

There’s two IFTTT recipes that should satisfy your requirements:

1. Start a watering time (schedule) anytime the temperate goes over 100. (please note this schedule can be disabled and used only for this recipe if needed)
  2. Water a zone an anytime the temperate goes over 100.

Let us know if this will work for you.

Best, Emil

Good point @emil, I forgot you can create a watering time in our app, disable it, but still allow IFTTT to run the disabled schedule.

These are crazy times we live in :wink:

@franz @emil - I don’t think i knew that. So, even though we have a watering schedule disabled in the app, IFTTT can still trigger it and it will run?

Correct. The disabled schedule still lives on the firmware. And if IFTTT triggers it, it will run once as normal, still disabled.

1 Like

Just saw the Rachio IFTTT. What is the difference between the “If tomorrow’s forecast calls for rain, then rain delay” recipe and Rachio’s standard out of the box functionality?

Ours measures observed and predicted precipitation, while the IFTTT recipe looks at a forecast (I don’t know what the threshold is). With our rain delay we allow you to set specific thresholds like a real physical rain sensor.

I haven’t had any feedback on the IFTTT weather forecast recipe.

Hope this helps.

:beers:

@ccoulson – this recipe on IFTTT is perfect for CA users to automate the 48 hour rain delay. It really depends on your use case and what you’re trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps :smile:

Best, Emil

A few quick notes: When I first started playing around with IFTTT last year, one or the easiest recepies to set up and test was “If it’s going to rain tomorrow, send me an email! #weather #gmail. Several times since then, I’ve received the email letting me know that rain is forecast, so I knew that worked.

I also then implemented the Rachio recipe, and it works just as well. I would call it a good way to error on the water conservation side of thinking. The rain delay will kick in, even if the precipitation doesn’t meet the minimum for Iro to do it for its self.

I’m confident that Rachio’s scheduling would assure that I maintain a healthy, thriving landscape. Unfortunately, with the way things are here in Southern California, that is often frowned upon, if not illegal. For that reason, I often skip watering schedules, and keep the IFTTT recipe in place as an extra fail-safe to keep my water usage at a minimum.

1 Like

Awesome to hear from a CA user!

Thanks @kelpayne, we appreciate your feedback and support. We see this IFTTT recipe as a great (and free) insurance plan for CA users that takes less than 5 minutes to setup.

If you stumble across any other recipes CA users should consider, please share them with us :blush:

I set up an ifttt for my iro: if it’s friday set rain delay for 1 day. This will stop my interval and flex schedules from running on Friday’s. Is there a way to use this with shared iro’s? When i pull down the witch device it is only showing my device and not devices that are shared with me. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Great question. This is not currently supported. Interesting use case, and honestly hadn’t even thought about it :wink:

Will make sure the product team sees this suggestion.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Im Loving it. :heart_eyes:
Thank you oh great one. :grin: