I was really excited to get my Rachio - not so much anymore

Can you Pls. log into the wifi router and remove auto from channel setting and use ch. 11… This means wifi ch 11 is on fix channel and have slightly longer strength…

Can you upload a photo of your access point, showing where it’s at relative to the room?

I get the same problems you’re describing when my modem loses connection to to the internet. I have Fr*nt**r dsl which is notorious for losing internet connection several times a day, everyday but as long as I have an internet connection no “controller is offline” message.

No, not really. When standing right next to the controller - my phone has excellent wifi connectivity - so while they say from the diagnostics that I have weak signal - I think it is actually just a weak wifi radio within the rachio. The patch they applied seems to have possibly worked or at least helped - I will test it out more in the next couple of days.

I am not losing my internet connection - I have strong signal standing right next to the rachio controller.

It appears the patch they applied has actually helped - I will be testing it out over the next couple of days.

Yup, same here, sometimes “full bars” at the Rachio controller in garage, other times only blinking “connection” issues. In the end, it was my five year-old wifi router, just couldn’t handle all the additional smart home devices I’d installed over past couple years. Too many devices, competing traffic. After a New Router (single point, not mesh) it solved everything.

2 Likes

IoT and smart home devices are putting a lot more strain on wireless networks. Full bars doesn’t always mean much.

2 Likes

Run the router in AP or BRIDGE mode, which ever is available to you to fix the double nat.

Amen to that!
please see this post i just added:

Sorry but I have to disagree. I have 10 controllers at different locations and all are connected rock solid to different Wireless Routers & Access Points. Mine are all R3 units.

Disagree all you want, but the fact remains that your installations may be totally different than mine and in smaller houses with the router being so close.
Also, Have you thought that the Rachio 3 units may be using different Wi-Fi modules than the Rachio 2s?

Also all these people who are seeing the same thing I’m seeing and experiencing the same thing I’m experiencing with the Rachio 2 can’t be wrong.

They may or may not. I can’t say for certain and neither can you. Instead of yelling at me, put in an Access Point somewhere between your current router and where your controller in and give it a whirl. Sounds like you aren’t properly covered. It’s not Rachio’s fault if you’re not.

1 Like

Once in a great while my controller is “unavailable” - but largely, I haven’t really had any connection issues either. My router is at the other end of a decent sized house as well… You might just consider putting in one of those extenders or something.

and to the previous poster: GBR!

2 Likes

who’s yelling geez but fair enough @though. But that also does not say take into account that mine started doing this after only 1.2 yrs.
My point is not have to put in a silly access point since as I mentioned 2 other cameras right next to the rachio connect just fine.

“Sounds like you aren’t properly covered. It’s not Rachio’s fault if you’re not.” Who’s yelling now.

GBR? what’s that?

I was replying to @though - he would understand the reference.

2 Likes

@vnasser “silly access point”? i have 2 which barely covers my very very small property/home.

if you are unwilling to do that, change channels on the AP that you have now. if you are on 6, try 1. if you are on 1, try 11. if you are on 11, try 6. at least tell me that it’s in a central location of your home, not in a basement or cabinet, etc.

done the ch changes… no effect. i am not a noob, been doing IT and networking for 20 yrs. I am saying My rachio2 is a fail imo. my routers are strategically placed and everything on my network has access just fine except the rachio2. pls tell me why 2 other cameras right next to the rachio2 (with one ft to R & L of it) connect just fine and never drop off.
I also mentioned that after a fresh unplug/plug-in rachio2 stays connected for as much as a couple of hrs. But then it drops off.
One curious thing I have observed: If I have the App open on another device (say ipad) the rachio2 stays connected to wifi longer (minutes vs. hours).
I am willing to consider a powerline adapter but rachio2 does not support ethernet afaik. (Hardwired Ethernet Connection)
anyway thanks for reading my rants and responding kindly.
I truly appreciate all that you are saying and trying to help.

There are powerline adapters that are wireless access points as well…