How to debug weather intelligence not detecting rain

Twice now the weather stations near my house have shown over .2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours and yet my Gen3 Rachio shows zero precipitation gain and then watered the lawn the next morning. It seems like WI+ is consistently under-estimating or missing rainfall for me.

Is there anything I can do beyond switching to a single station? That bit me last year when that station went offline for a week and I also had watering after rain. I’m a bit frustrated as I upgraded to a Gen3 specifically for the WI+ assuming it would average rainfall for the stations near me.

On 5/20 we got between .34 and .45 inches of rain:

on 5/25 we got between .19 and .22 inches of rain:

@edalquist I verified and it looks like our weather provider did not record precipitation for that area. I had the engineering team open a support ticket with our weather provider giving them this data. I will let you know when we receive more information.

:cheers:

Thanks for looking into it!

I had filed a support ticket after the first incident but the response wasn’t super helpful.

1 Like

Some initial feedback from our weather provider.

:cheers:

Thanks for reaching out and providing examples.

Our teams dug into the missing precip and found the same issue we spoke of last week where one of the main sources had not updated until a few days later. At this time we are going to move forward with brainstorming alternative methods in case this continues to be an issue. We did check on the 25th and confirmed the data had updated with the correct values, but a few days after.

Thanks for the update and glad they are looking into it. In theory the WI+ is a great feature, hopefully they can get the kinks ironed out so one bad station doesn’t skew things so much.

Honestly I’d rather the system err on the side of watering LESS instead of MORE. I can manually fix things if there isn’t watering, it is sort of hard to remove a few thousand gallons from my yard :slight_smile: Plus I get weather skip notifications which let me know that Rachio thought there was rain when there wasn’t

2 Likes