How to add a motion sensor

just added the rachio 3 system and need to add a motion sensor to my mulch beds to stop the deer. I see other brands offer a motion sensor for their products. Does rachio offer a motion sensor or can someone tell me if there is another brand that is compatible with the rachio 3 system. I see some things online but just not sure if they will work and would love to be able to tie it into this system if possible.
Thanks

I use a Yard Enforcer which is a stand-alone version of what you are talking about. Rachio does not directly support that, but I know people have done this using home automation here in the forums. Will that help you?

Yes I use the smart things app and going to test out my ring camera to trigger the motion to turn on the zone needed.

This is exactly what I used at one time when a neighbor kept letting his dog crap in my yard and not pick it up. I haven’t used it in a long time, but as long as you have Rachio connected to ST, it should work. Just set a rule within ST to run zone x when motion on Ring.

I tried setting up my ring camera last night. I was able to view the camera through the smart things app and i was also able to turn on a rachio zone through the smart things app. I set up the “if” to be front door camera motion detection and the “then” to turn on zone 10 and turn off after 1 minute. but it is not working. is there something special to do to trigger the motion sensor?

Boy, it has been 4 years or so since I did that, and I haven’t tried it since ST moved to the new platform.

That certainly sounds like what I did. I can try and play with it this week to see if I can still get it to work.

Wondering if ST supports live events with ring - ring are notorious about limiting events. Can you control the zone from ST? look up events on the ring camera in ST (History tab) - does it reflect the motion events? Is the camera set to use smart events (ie person detection)? Make sure motion events are on, not just person detection. No other ideas at this time.

history motion is not working but I can access the camera and the sprinkler zone from the ST app. Its a first gen doorbell ring camera so maybe to old. going to try a ring spotlight cam to see if that works.

My Ring Pro looks like it is showing history in the ST app. I can’t access the video history in ST, but it shows the event. I have my doorbell motion set to trigger a series of lights, so I know it works… @qttire1 you could try setting a rule to have it turn on lights with motion just to test that the Ring side is working…

I’ll have to re-link Rachio to my ST. I removed the link a few years back as I just didn’t see a practical purpose for it to be in ST and have an extra 16 devices (zones) that I wasn’t doing anything with…

I setup my lutron light to when turn on activate sprinkler zone and that worked perfect. I think my ring cam is first gen, going to get a spotlight cam and try that.

I currently am using a Zooz battery powered outdoor motion detector array with my Smartthings hub. Both the Rachio and the Zooz motion detectors connect to the hub. Smartthings will allow you to set up a routine that will run a particular zone when motion is detected. You can also turn the zone off after 1 minute (Rachio minimum is 3 minutes). Zwave is a good option because it reaches further than wifi. Sensors are about $40 and available on smartesthouse.com. The system works very well. I have been using it for 5 years.

If you already have smartthings, get a zooz outdoor motion detector. They are battery powered and work with zwave for max distance from rhe hub. Motion detectors have just been redesigned and released. They can be found at smartesthouse.com.

If Rachio had fixed their Homekit integration as promised, that’s exactly what I’d have,

One for all the neighbors and dogs on my front lawn. One for the pesky sales critters that can’t read no soliciting signs on my front door.

I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when Rachio abandoned us.

I mean, HomeKit works now, but I wasn’t able to find a way to use Rachio as an action?! has anyone? and this one here might be on Apple

Are you using a SmartThings hub to make the motion sensors work with with the Rachio3 controller? I am new to the Rachio3 and the SmartThings application. I want to use a motion detector to activate a sprinkler set. I bought a Rachio3 controller just so I could set this up. I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

That is correct. I use the SmartThings hub with Rachio irrigation controller and Zooz outdoor motion detectors. I am using SmartThings rather than Amazon Echo because SmartThings routines offer more flexibility primarily related to the ability to turn a zone off after 1 minute. I am using this system to keep the deer off of my roses and it is really the sound that scares them off. They are ususally long gone by the time the water starts spraying. You might also be able to use some security camera systems for motion detection. Most of them are smarter than simple motion detectors and can tell the difference between a human, a car, a dog and a deer which would be helpful to keep from watering the UPS guy. I have not tried any to date. Zooz just redesigned their outdoor motion sensors to make them more waterproof. I have not tried those either but eventually I will have to replace existing sensors. They tend to last a few years if they are exposed to water from rain and irrigation. They are battery powered but the batteries last over 1 year so you aren’t having to always change them.

One trick you are going to want to use on SmartThings is to create a virtual device (I call mine “Deer Security”). Then activate and deactivate your system with the virtual device (like if you hare having a dinner party and don’t want to water your guests). You can use a smart speaker to turn the virtual device on and off and have your motion detector/Rachio check that first before running (If deer security =on and motion detected then run zone 6 for 1 minute). It makes activating and deactivating the system much easier than turning every routine on and off. If you need additional help, contact me. I will be interested to see your experience.

One thing to note, Rachio indicated that they were going allow quickrun duration setting to be remembered after each use rather than defaulting to 3 minutes. That may alter the way you want to write your routines if Rachio actually makes that change. One other thing to note… get a surge protector for your Rachio. I have lost more than one to lighting strike power surges. Fortunately they were under warranty and Racho was good about replacing them.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Jerry,
Thank you for all the information you provided. Do I need to get a SmartThings HUB? I am totally new to this equipment. On other threads there is talk about a SmartThings hub. So far I have only purchased the Rachio 3 sprinkler controller, but plan on purchasing the Zooz motion sensors for various areas of my lawn.

To bother you further, how do I make a routine to create a virtual device? (I would name it “Cat Poop Deterrent”)

My problem is neighborhood cats. Several people in my neighborhood have taken to feeding feral cats. One neighbor that lives directly across the street feeds 15 feral cats. The cats have deposited numerous poops on my lawn. This has been a major problem for the entire neighborhood. I have two individual motion sprinklers hooked up to my hose, but sometimes the cats poop outside of the range of this motion detector or the spray from the hose does not activate. I am hoping to figure out something to remedy this problem. Again, I appreciate your assistance with this matter!

No problem. This sounds like a good solution for you.

Yes you need a SmartThings (ST) hub for the system as I have it designed. You can buy a gen 3 ST Hub on amazon for $119.00. Don’t buy the ST Station - it doesn’t support Z-Wave communication. Z-Wave is important because it works over a longer distance than WIFI or other remote communication technology. Z-Wave uses other wired Z-Wave devices as signal repeaters. So if there is a long distance between your hub and your motion detector, you can install a z-wave wall switch that will extend your range and allow you to set up smart lighting at the same time.

A virtual device is something you can create on your ST Hub. Since there is no actual device, it is called Virtual. To create open the ST app. When in the ST app, select the menu hamburger in the lower right hand corner of the screen then select the Labs Icon. Scroll down until you see “Virtual Switch” and follow the prompts from there. To make a routine, simply select the “Routines” icon from the bottom of the ST app screen and press the “+” button located in the top right corner of the screen. Press the green “+” to add your condition. To check your virtual switch first, select “Device Status” then your virtual switch and select “On” and “Done”. Second add the condition that needs to be met which will be motion detection. So add another “If” condition by pressing the green “+ add condition”. “Select Device Status” and scroll down until you see your motion detector and select it. Select “Motion Sensor” followed by “motion detected” on the pop-up message. Then select “Done”. Now add what you want the routine to do when motion is detected. Choose"+ Add what this routine will do" under the “Then” section. Select “Control Devices” from the next screen and scroll down until you see the irrigation system zone you want to turn on and choose it and press “Next” . Choose “Turn on” then press “Auto Turn Off” and choose “1 minute” on the pop-up screen. Then press “Done”. Press “Save” and change the name and add an optional icon by choosing from the list below (there is no cat but there is a cat paw print). Almost done… press save and the routine is done.

I add another routine that turns my virtual switch on an hour before sunset and off an hour after sunset since that is when I know the deer are active. That keeps me from triggering the system during the daytime when I can’t predict when someone might show up.

After you do all this you will probably find that the system will train the cats to stay away. If you forget to turn it on for a while it will usually takes them some time to figure out it is off. As an alternative, you can sprinkle pepper corns in the area they like to poop and they will stay out. I’ve used that one in the past. Its cheap and not complicated but much less fun than watering cats.

Enjoy.

J. Jeschke Appraisal

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info! I will probably contact you on and off as I complete this project. Again, thank you for all the help.

Dan

1 Like

thanks for all this info. I am using the smart things app and purchased the aeotec smart home hub and got the zooz 800 outdoor motion sensor. The hub syncs right up in the smart things app and i am able to add the motion camera also to the app. Thinking I would just install these and make a routine to make it turn on my rachio zone did not work. I also tried to do a routine when motion sensor detects motion turn on some smart lights which did not work either.
not sure what I am doing wrong to set up this motion sensor to activate the rachio zone

I originally purchased the motion sensor but it would sync to the smart things app becasue I did not have a hub so I purchased the aeotec hub since in supported smart things and zwave
thanks