Don't Kill the Rachio Web App

Agree. Please keep working on the web app, improve it.

I agree, I canā€™t imagine trying to coordinate multiple controllers on a tiny screen. Nor do I expect that any software solution to actually linking multiple controllers could be effectively implemented on just a phone.

It appears they just replaced it with a disaster of a new version. TERRIBLE.

I donā€™t see anything new or ground breaking in the web appā€¦ Was there an update?

I have no way of knowing except that both the phone app and the desktop app are uniquely screwed up showing a different UI and behaviors, as noted.

I donā€™t see anyone else having the issue. I just updated the app on my iPhone 12 pro. Looks the same and works the same. Checked web app on an old Win7 PC, a Win11, and MacOS laptop and all looked the same and worked the same.

Possibly something is corrupted or broken on your controller. Had any power surges lately?

Iā€™d call support and see what they say.

Hi @RickyO! I have sent you a DM to try and help with your app issues.

I agree keep the web app.

How did you send it?

Dane said he sent you a DM. Click your avatar (or initial) in the upper right of this page and click the envelope.

Note: I have deleted some messages on this thread that were off-topic and unproductive.

3 Likes

Here is another vote to keep the web app.

1 Like

Agree here - keep the web app! Nothing beats a large, high quality monitor. Except for rare ā€œon the flyā€ changes, who wants to squint at a small phone screen when you donā€™t have to? Not me.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that the current web app is sluggish and poorly responsive to update, perhap[s because Rachio doesnā€™t care about it. I have complained multiple times about this but never got a satisfactory reply.

I see the web app as meeting a completely different need from the mobile apps.

Today Iā€™m trying to resolve an issue where my zones wires got moved around. So I need to update the configuration of nearly every zone. That would be impossibly tedious to do from the Android app. In Chrome, it is merely annoying.

Rather than abandon the web app, I would like to see additional features that are only suitable for use from a full web browser, likely running in a full PC of some flavor.

Todayā€™s problem would benefit from a feature that summaries all of the zones, showing its name and all of the settings including the Advanced settings and any hidden state like the moisture level estimate.

yes, totally agree with those comments. I use both the web app and the phone app.

keep the web app
bigger is better and I prefer to use my iMac vs my iPad

I started this thread in May 2022 and have not see a response, or any additional information, from Rachio. I have seen in at least one other thread problems with the web app that are not being addressed in a timely manner.

It is possible that Rachio is struggling as a company and having to make tough choices with regards to their programming resources. If that is the case, then I would make the following suggestions based on feedback in this thread and others:

1. Focus resources on the WEB interface instead of the mobile app.

2. Re-orient the PHONE APP to do only those things that it is most used for by users. Quick updates to timing, manually checking zones, turning system on/off, etc. In other words, REDUCE the functionality to reduce programing resource requirements for the mobile app.

3. Focus WEB programming resources on a limited, or SINGLE, browser. The big challenge with programming for the web is doing so for all the different browsers and their different versions and extensions. "We recommend and fully support " would be fine with me. I would suggest Chrome as it seems to be the most hardened and my personal favorite, but I would install another just for Rachio if that is what it takes to keep the web interface going strong.

I hope we can hear back from @drew_thayer or someone else at Rachio on this subject. I bought a new property and hope to be able to feel comfortable with buying another Rachio controllerā€¦

1 Like

Not sure how you equate their desire to sunset the web app as the company not doing well, but I find it hard to believe.

IoT, whether you like it or not, is an app based world. I think of the MANY IoT devices I have, and Rachio is one of the few holding on to it better than others (for now), but they are all very clunky in comparison to the apps, and are basically just an on screen version of the app.

If they retire the web interface, I would hope that it would be available for self-hosting purposes and the API most open, plus better integration with Google & other things. I know that is all rather unlikely.

Hey everyone, thanks for the passion!

We do not have any plans to enhance the webapp on our roadmap, but we are also not planning on winding it down.

As we release new products (looking at you 2023!) unfortunately it wonā€™t support them, but should continue to work for the irrigation controller for the foreseeable future. There are a couple known issues that we have not fixed (i.e. some newer crop types are not supported) and do not have a timeframe to work on them.

Hope this helps address at least some short term questions around the webapp, hereā€™s looking towards a great 2023!

:cheers:

3 Likes