Don't Kill the Rachio Web App

I put my two cents in on this subject as part of another thread on another topic, but I wanted to post it here so it can be heard as loud and as clear as possible. In response to a question about a discrepancy between the mobile app and the web app related to the new Dynamic Coefficient functionality @drew_thayer mentioned:

"as a general trend we are not going to support new features in the web app"

This tells me that programming and support resources are no longer being allocated to the web app and that it will therefore eventually become obsolete.

Please don’t let this happen. I utilize the web app just as much and probably a bit more than the mobile app, but I use both extensively. I normally use them for different functions. I do large changes and investigations on the web app since it is easier for these 57 year old eyes to see and big updates are just far easier. I use the mobile app for tweaking settings, checking plumbing especially at the beginning of each season, and quick manual waterings.

Having BOTH apps is one of the big features I harp on when I am selling my friends on why they should get a Rachio controller. I know the world is mobile these days, but desktops still have advantages for serious work that mobile apps will never be well suited for… This is one of those cases. I imagine professional installers, with multiple controllers to keep up with, make heavy use of the desktop app.

So, Rachio: Please continue to develop and support your web app. It is one of the major features that makes Rachio the favorite choice of so many of us clients.

Rachio users and professionals: Make your voice heard here and voice your desire to have Rachio continue to support both of their apps!

24 Likes

Agree 100%. Please do not get rid of the web app. I find it far more useful than the phone.

11 Likes

Since there is no desktop app for macOS, and the iPad app isn’t in the Mac App Store for Apple silicon devices, the web app needs to be supported.

3 Likes

I also agree 100%!

6 Likes

I agree - when setting up a scedule it is a lot easier to do it on a computer

5 Likes

There is no other way to download your zone watering history other than the web app. Please keep it.

4 Likes

100% in agreement. Rachio, please don’t kill the web app!

3 Likes

This sentence from tlight above is the problem with where we are going today, wireless and mobile only.

" I know the world is mobile these days, but desktops still have advantages for serious work that mobile apps will never be well suited for… "

If Rachio thinks we don’t need the web app because it’s not the “future” then respectfully Rachio employees must do the same. I’m sure most if not all have PCs or Macs with multiple screens so they can actually see what they are doing. If any of the employees are doing any developing on their phones I would be surprised (other than testing).
So Rachio walk the walk and get rid of all of your computers if you think we don’t need them

6 Likes

Count me as another person who opted for Rachio because I could control it without a smartphone. I don’t understand why people think that “everyone” uses a phone and that it’s “easier”. That’s certainly not true here.

4 Likes

I agree. The web app is very important.

3 Likes

fully agree. Web app is more convenient for setup and data download, besides fact that it is sole way to steer from iMac or PC.

3 Likes

Agree! If a user membership model is necessary, I dare say I believe most users would be acceptable to a reasonable monthly subscription rate. (For those of us in regions where our controllers are not in use for a number of months due to winter months, monthly may be an option as compared to annual; but I would think that since development costs are relatively fixed and would need to be funded for keeping quality developers on staff throughout the year, either option is understandable.

2 Likes

Agree please keep the web app! Hardly ever use the mobile except for checking valves at start up

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear of this possible change - but not at all happy about it. I have an 18 zone Irritrol controller I was just thinking about replacing with a Rachio (or 2). But, not if they are abandoning the desktop web version of access. It drives me mad when I am sitting at my fully featured and high powered 18 core desktop with 23 and 30" monitors and some place like Wells Fargo makes me pull out my 4.8" screen phone and put on glasses so I can do something simple like deposit a check.
I won’t invest in a new Rachio with this threat hanging over, so I hope they’ll make a clear statement like my fellow users have.

5 Likes

I use the web app as much if not more than my phone. Much easier to use my computer than my phone.

4 Likes

Echoing this, I almost exclusively use the web app. It’s much easier to manage two controllers this way side by side when dealing with scheduling tweaks.

4 Likes

Aps cant do everything for everyone. Keep the webpage.

2 Likes

I use the web app around 80% of the time. Dynamic coefficients are a real plus… be great to have custom plant types as well. I have an ultra dwarf Bermuda green which has different coefficients than warm weather grasses. I was surprised to find dynamic coefficients in the mobile app ! I always recommend Rachio to new build homes in my area. They use my weather station for ET data. Best irrigation controller out there…

2 Likes

I also use the website for Rachio more than the mobile app, and I urge you to continue to fully support it. The phone app is great when I’m walking the yard and testing zones for leaks, etc, but the website is really helpful for downloading reviewing water usage.

1 Like

The web capability is a huge selling point for the Rachio company. Conversely, it’s absence would be a major detriment. I have four 16 station controllers and trying to deconflict watering times solely through the iOS devices is made so much easier via the web access capability. Charge a fee if you must but eliminating that capability would be a huge mistake from a business standpoint among your current loyal customers and future prospects.

2 Likes