Another Arizona Set-up help thread!

Well, I guess I jinxed myself…

After plugging off probably 60 or so emitters that not longer had bushes/trees (figure 1-2 gph per emitter, so much waste!), apparently the new found pressure produced on the long runs wreaked havoc on other areas of the system. Each and every end of a run started leaking out of the flush valve cap, and of course each and every one of them was buried.

Also, like I have mentioned before, my “Tree” zone uses 2gph emitters and depending on the type/size of tree there are 2-4 emitters per tree. That being said, how many emitters would you guys put on these big Pineapple Palms?

I see SRP and the Town of Gilbert are hosting some classes on drip irrigation design as well as smart controllers! Wonder if Rachio will be one of those smart controllers? Assuming this would be open to everyone, not sure how they would police it…might be neat to hear what they have to say!

2 Likes

I think the person that teaches the irrigation work shops does the same classes for Scottsdale. I took the drip workshop in the spring and it was pretty informative, really helped me install my own drip systems. I think I saw his name mentioned around these forums by one of the rachio guys. They mentioned they sent him a controller and were receiving feedback from him so it might be covered.

1 Like

@JPedrego Do you mind sharing the direct link ? I can’t seem to find the classes from the main SRP website. Thanks!

For the Scottsdale classes? They are offered by the water department.

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/water/workshops

Looks like the drip workshop is this Saturday. I’m not sure if they restrict registration to just Scottsdale residents, I doubt it. But if you did want to go you can always walk in too. I’ve never attended a workshop that was so full they had to turn people away.

ETA: Looks like they do specify on the website free for Scottsdale residents but I don’t think they have anyway of enforcing that for walk-ins.

1 Like

Thanks @jpedrego!

I have attended several of these workshops. The city wants people to learn to water wisely. Like @JPedrego says, many of these workshops don’t have full attendance and a walk-in close to starting time is not turned away. Registration helps them determine numbers for the hand-out materials.

1 Like

Hi guys, I’m new to this and also live in Greater Phoenix (Scottsdale). I had a water bill double the average and has happened several times over the last year or two–so finally want to jump in with a smart controller and monitor it actively. Any recommendations for where to purchase and/or other add-on parts to get? I’ll read your posts about setup–was it difficult?

I’m coming from a Raindial old school controller and am completely computer literate–so I should catch-on. But know nothing about plants and irrigation control. BTW–we got rid of our grass 2 years ago, so we’re just watering trees and plants (decent size yard).

Also, interested in the beta flow testing–anyone doing that?
Thanks!

1 Like

@jeremysm1 Welcome! You should start up your own thread and we can start from step 1 to figure out how to get you up and going. Just post it under the General category. Just to clarify, you are wanting to know where to buy a Rachio first and possible accessories?

2 Likes

Bring it on!

2 Likes

I’m a bit scared to go home tonight to see what the house/yard looks like. Hopefully the trampoline isn’t three streets over…Still blowing my mind that these storms keep coming from the north/northeast. This time of year they should be coming up from the south.

We were up in Prescott this weekend and got storms Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon…yesterday was a doozy though!

Be careful of those flash floods, the news was reporting that like 9 members of a family were killed by a flash flood this past weekend up north.

No flash floods around us, just a bunch of rain and hail!

We had Flash Garbage Cans in my neighborhood, someone posted a video from their house of 2 cans going down the street at like 50mph. My neighbors love to put out their trash cans sunday for monday pickup with no regards to wind and storms sunday night.

1 Like

I hope my trampoline is still in place. Didn’t get around to installing the new tie downs before I went out of town for work last week…

Hope Rachio skips for the next few days…based on my pool level I’ve already got well over an inch and no signs of letting up!

Ahwatukee …

1 Like

It’s still raining here…

My backyard

2 Likes

Are you serious @Modawg2k? The PWS that I point to says I got 1.53" last night, and I think that might be a bit on the low side…

Rachio has already accounted for the 1.5" of rain and has pushed off watering!