632 Firmware Release Notes for Gen 3 - Impact for onboarding controller using iPhone 11/iOS 13.4.0 & Samsung Galaxy S10/S20

Hi @whadlock. Do you by chance have another mobile device you can install the Rachio app on? We have identified the Galaxy Note 10+ as another device that will not connect to the current factory firmware. Once your controller is connected to Wi-Fi, you can go back to using your Note 10+.

1 Like

You were right. I found an old Tablet I haven’t used in years and it connected and went through the setup fine. Now my Note connects to the already setup Rachio just fine.

thank you!

2 Likes

@whadlock Thank you for your patience, welcome to the community!

:cheers:

I had to roll back for the WFM to work. Is the update to 632 good now for me to update to? Or do I need stay on 615 until the next version comes out.

It does work with the WFM. It might take a conteoller power cycle but everything else should work as before.

1 Like

@franz just want to verify that 632 is okay for those of us with WFMs installed. I’m back on 615 after I updated earlier this week and lost connectivity. I now see the “UPDATE NOW” button next to the 615 version currently installed. I don’t want to break anything, but do have an iPhone 11 and want it all to work properly. Should I update?? Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi Franz
I reached out to your support team and they want me to run the network trace. This has been 3 days and no response back.
Can you help? I really need to get this work.
Thanks!

@lamtran2616, I will reach out to the team right now. Apologies for the delay.

Michael

If you update should be fine, you might have to power cycle after the update but that should be it. Just let us know if you have any issues.

1 Like

@lamtran2616 Talked to our Customer Service Manager, he found your ticket, and he or someone from his team should be reaching out today.

The firmware upgrade does work for WFM. I believe a controller power cycle and then just remove both batteries from the WFM and put back in and will reconnect.

1 Like

Yep - that works. Updated, restarted the controller, and removed & reinstalled the WFM batteries. I’m on 632 and everything is working. Thanks for the awesome support. Your customer service really is second to none!

2 Likes

Still having issues with my Rachio 3 connecting WIFI. It connects and then in connects randomly . I have 190BPS download at the controller.

Niceness

As a potential customer, should I purchase the Gen 3 at this point?

My requirements:

1. Set it up with my iPhone 11 Pro, none of that old devices business.

2. Works with HomeKit.

Is it ready for prime time?

Units on shelves will not be able to pair with the iPhone 11 Pro, this is a one time issue and after initial pairing will not be an issue. New units do not have this issue. iPad, etc. will allow you to work around this, or this work around. https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047277134-Issues-Connecting-to-New-Model-iPhone-iPad-and-Samsung-Phones-Tablets

A lot of users generally have Homekit working, although we do have users that have issues keeping connected to the HomeKit app. We are currently working with Apple and our WiFi vendor on a solution.

The unit has been out for two years, the new platform software has been around for about 3 years and continues to get more mature every season. We have some great intelligent schedule work we are already planning for next year.

4 Likes

Ok this would work. Not a show stopper.

I certainly appreciate the prompt reply directly from the CTO. But what you are actually saying is: roll the dice; HK may or may not work at this point. This gives me pause.

All great on new features and all. But how about getting stuff (e.g., HK) to work as promised? It’s really disappointing to find a product advertised to be HK compatible that may or may not work with HK in reality.

I guess my verdict is: promising feature set; hold off buying until HK issues are resolved.

How do you foresee using HK? Many members here use it only for hands free operation (when adjusting or cleaning heads, start and stop zones without touching your phone with wet/dirty/gloved hands). This function is also available in Google Assistant, which is very easy to set up. If you plan automation, etc., please provide details; there may be suitable alternatives.

I also use it with my Apple Watch. Very easy to select a zone then slide the big switch on the watch screen. But telling Siri to water and/or stop watering is handy too if your hands are dirty.