Zone wont shut off

Yes. I replaced the top piece as well.

I have the same issue after installing the Rachio 3. My irrigation system’s valves/solenoids/sprinkler heads, etc. are completely new as I have my entire irrigation system completely revamp. After everything was installed, I tested the new system using my old controller. Everything works fine for all 5 zones with my old controller. Then I replaced the old controller with Rachio 3, it worked fine the first time when I tested it out with the app. After the test, I set up the schedule and left the house for a few hours. When I came back, zone 5 has automatically started even though it was not scheduled to run that day. I was not able to turn it off on the app or manually on the controller. I disconnect the wire and zone 5 stopped (so the valve and solenoid is working as it should). I went to bed thinking everything was ok. I didn’t realize zone 1 was also automatically turned on. I woke up in the morning with my zone 1 lawn and sidewalk filled with pool of water. Again, I can’t turn it off via the app or manually on the controller. I unplugged zone 1 wire and again, zone 1 shuts off so the valve and solenoid is working as it should. I have used 4 different controllers before and never had any problem with any of them before. So just by process of elimination, it must be the Rachio 3. I know people who’s never have problem with the Rachio are probably fine with it and some of us may just happen to get bad ones. But I am almost 100% sure it’s the Rachio 3 controller.

@wesley - What type of schedule was created - Flex Daily by chance? If so, was the water table filled for each zone in the app? I mention this as Rachio will assume the zones are completely dry and water to fill them up.

Can the zones be run from the buttons on the front of the Rachio?

Are you using an original power supply? Or are you in 220V country and had to source your own?

1 Like

Thanks for responding. The schedule is Fixed Schedule running 1 day per week. I tried to stop the zone manually with the button on the Rachio but the zone won’t stop. I turned on the zone from the app and it worked fine but I have not tried turning on the zone with the button on Rachio. Will try that next.

I’m using 120V in the US. My original Rachio power supply (24V/1A) was not working. I can’t find an original replacement on Amazon or at Rachio so I used a third party (24V/2A) adapter. The multimeter confirms that the power output is 24V/2A and it powers up the Rachio fine. My concern is when I see the zone running, I can’t stop it with the app and I can’t stop it manually on the Rachio. Shouldn’t that be pretty straightforward that if I press the stop button on the Rachio, it should override every setting and stop.

@wesley - Check to make sure the replacement adapter is a AC adapter. There are many instances in the forum with international users who buy a DC adapter and this is the exact behavior that is seen (zone won’t shut off). Feel free to post a picture of the new adapter’s label if there is a doubt.

Rachio has a two year warranty. Call customer support and ask for a replacement power supply.

1 Like

I’ll check and compare to the original. Thanks.

Yes, sounds like you’ve bought a DC supply. What kind of markings do you see on it?

On a DC supply you may also see a polarity marker

Rachio will power up on a DC supply, but won’t have a chance to turn off the zones (circuit Rachio uses needs AC)

You want an AC supply, such as this:
Amazon.com: JAMECO RELIAPRO - 140599 Jameco Reliapro ADU240100 AC to AC Wall Adapter Transformer 24VAC @ 1000 mA Straight 2.1 mm Female Plug, Black : Electronics

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it is a DC since most of the ones on Amazon are AC/DC. Hope that is it. I’ll contact Rachio for a replacement.

I didn’t even realize that Rachio uses AC until @DLane mentioned it. I just assume it’s DC.

1 Like

So, add me to the list. I had a one of the original smart controllers from Irrigation Caddy. Never, ever had an issue with it. Switched to Rachio, within 3 days I had a Zone stay on for hours. Contacted support, and switch that zone to another to see if it was a bad zone. Everything works fine for about a week, then whilst I am away, BOOM! zone stays on for 13 hours and the house sitter finally had her sone turn off the water to the house. A day later when I contacted her, she turns the water back on and the zone keeps on going. Turn the power off to the Rachio is the only way to shut the zone down. This has happened on all but one zone now. I only have 4. Support referred me to a local Rachio expert saying it is the wiring. If they can’t offer and “for sure” fix, how can you ever trust the unit again. Here in CA, we can only water at night, so unless you do it right before you wake up you run the risk of an all night water.
I am thinking I should return the unit and go back to old old school.
Thoughts?

Can you share photos of your setup? Intermittent operation is not something I would expect from the type of circuit Rachio uses to control zone outputs.
Are you using the original power supply, or repurposed the one from your old controller?

@C0rvette1969 - debris in the line can cause the valves not to close. The other item is DC solenoids will stay open when used with Rachio. Rachio is designed for AC solenoids. Check the label on the solenoids to see what type of current it is designed for.

I had a similar problem. I turned off the rachio by pulling the power cord and yet the zone kept on running. Debris in the line kept the diaphragm open. I opened it and cleaned it out. Been good ever since.

3 Likes

This

Since last fall my Rachio2 was able to turn on any zone just fine, but was not able to turn them off unless I unplugged the adapter. I checked the wiring again and again, even swapped out old solenoids. Nothing worked. I was going crazy. I was considering overhauling the whole system.

Then I saw the above. I remembered that my old adopter stopped working a year ago and I realized my spare - lo and behold - was a DC. Ordered the part above… and it worked instantly! All back to normal. What a save.

THANK YOU Gene!

3 Likes

I am having the same “zone won’t shut off issue.” I had the first Rachio replaced under warranty, and not the second one is acting the same. Randomly, one of the Zones won’t shut off. When it is working, I get an alert that the zone is going to run for 5 minutes when it starts, then right before it shuts off, I get another alert that says it is going to run for 5 minutes and another that says 1 minute, then it shuts off. Weird, but I can live with that. When a zone won’t shut off, I don’t get the second and third alert, and the App says it is watering, but nothing you do on the app has an effect. Basically, the Rachio is locked up. I can ping it on my network fine. I have to unplug the power to get the zone to shut off. So, it must be the Rachio, not the valves. I had a Rachio Pro come out, and everthing is installed correctly. You can pull the wire for the Zone, and it will shut off as well. However, the Rachio remains locked up. I am now keeping a tally to see if it happens after so many watering cycles. Hope someone at Rachio can come up with a solution.

@C0rvette1969 - is it always the same zone that stays on? Debris in the line will prevent the diaphragm in the valve from closing the valve. Has any work been done on the piping in the system?

The system checks out. It is a different zone almost every time.

It can’t be a valve because the App is frozen, and when you shut off the power the valve immediatly will stop. You can pull the wire, zone stops, put wire back, and the zone starts again. When you try and hit it with the App, you just get the spinning icon. After it is rebooted, the App works again.

Can you log into it locally with SSH or anything? I could try that when it fails again.

Any way to collect Logs? I am assuming it runs on Linux.

Cheers,

This here is likely the answer most people are looking for. For all of you that swapped out an old Rainbird or Hunter or otherwise for a Rachio and all of the sudden none of your valves will shut off, you might have used a DC power adapter. My Rachio didn’t come with one (got it from Woot) and I ordered one that was an AC/DC switching unit and my valves would not shut off. I then purchased the one link here by Gene, and VOILA! my problem went away. All valves now shut off as planned. Don’t get sidetracked by replacing all your valves only to find it was the power supply. If your valves shut off fine when you unplug the controller, then this is your problem.

1 Like