Wireless point to point System

I searched the archive, but didn’t find a similar topic. My Rachio 3 is located inside my pump shed. Stone walls, metal door, metal roof, so no WiFi unless I leave the door open. Tried a signal booster both in the shed and the nearby garage, but still no luck. I am considering options, but wondered if a wireless point to point system to get signal to the shed, then a WiFi router in the shed. Anyone have experience with this, or other suggestions? I also considered changing the shed door to a French door with glass, but don’t really want to do this–not pretty inside the shed, and if it doesn’t work then I’ve wasted a bunch of time and money on it.

Option #2 is an outdoor WAP in an attic vent nearby on the house, but it’d still have to get through the walls/roof of the shed. Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Charles McCash

If nothing else, I know where I’m going if the space aliens ever start beaming thoughts into our heads… :wink:

@Pdeyeguy - was the signal booster in the shed an Ethernet over Powerline device or just a wireless repeater. If the pump shed is on the same transformer as the house I might try an Ethernet over Powerline option.

An example →

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-powerline-ac1000-wi-fi-access-point-and-adapter-white/4760605.p?skuId=4760605

It was a wireless repeater. I may try your suggestion–cheaper than the point to point, and Best Buy will usually let you return if it doesn’t work. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

I’ve had luck with the Powerline adapters in the past. I used one to get wifi to my guest house before I upgraded to a full mesh system. You may need to play with where you place the powerline units. I don’t fully know the science behind them, but if you are knowledgeable about electricity in your house, you have 2 legs of 110/115v power, giving you a full 220v to the house. I suspect the powerline adapters need to end up on the same leg in order to work…I just couldn’t get a connection worth a darn on some outlets.

2 Likes

That is correct, most residential units have two phases, each providing 110V, or when combined 220.
By building code, these phases should be balanced as much as possible, meaning that half of your rooms/outlets will be on one phase, the other half on the different phase. Powerline adapters need to be on the same phase, as phases are isolated from one another from the practical standpoint.

Outlets tend to share the same phase within a room, with exceptions of a large room which may have many outlets or one that was, at a time, combined from different rooms. If the data transfer is not working from a particular room, try a different room, most likely none of the other outlets within the nonworking room would work.

1 Like