Wind Skip with no wind

I’ve been getting wind skip notifications for the past couple of days and there is no wind outside.
Wind skip is set to 20 mph.
I’ve tried switching weather stations and it still skipped this morning.
I checked the data on the weather stations and they both have a top speed of 3 mph.
Any ideas??

2 Likes

@jeremyyablan

I had the engineering team review and the station used for wind reporting looks like the data is incorrect. We looked at the forecasted data and the average wind speed is always over 20MPH. That’s the problem with some of these PWS is that they will sometimes report erroneous wind or precipitation data. It looks like you have chosen a new PWS. I’d wait to see the results with that. We did look into the skip software and it appears to be working correctly with the station data at the different skip times (12 and 1 hours).

:cheers:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?last=24&call=WD6CGF

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll see if the new weather station is giving the same problem - if so, I’ll use a non-PWS weather station and hopefully that will work.

Thank you.

1 Like

My question is not the same issue as the original poster, but on the same topic.

I see that my two Rachio stations are very good about correctly scheduling a Wind skip when it sees that “PROJECTED” wind for the scheduled time is going to be high. One example is that right now there is no wind, but projected to be above my 15 mph limit by the time the schedule is due to run tonight. Predictions from our station have been really accurate so I suspect it will in fact be windy tonight.

So my question is this? Is there a way to have the schedule DELAYED instead of SKIPPED, so that the schedule will run when the wind subsides? This happens a lot where I live.

I’m a new user and have set up my Rachio 3 using Flex Daily with default settings. This morning’s run was skipped (wind), yet when I look at the weather conditions, the winds are averaging 10 mph with occasional gusts up to 23 mph. The weather source for my Rachio is the weather network, and not a singular weather station. I am worried tomorrow’s scheduled watering will also be skipped, if it skipped today’s run with low actual wind speeds.

I had a similar situation this morning. My wind skip threshold is set to 20mph. My morning watering cycle at 5:00a was skipped due to a reported 21mph wind gust. However, when I check my weather station, the wind gust occurred at 6:00pm yesterday evening. Ever since that time, the winds have been calm with no reported gusts over 10mph.

What’s the threshold for when it checks for gusts? I assumed it was at the time of watering, but this is using a 12 hour old report to block a cycle.

Was there forecasted winds today?

No, all wind forecasts were under 10mph for the day as well.

Same for my location. Winds were forecast and did average 10 mph.

Does the controller look at average wind speed or gusts? If gusts are defined as “short bursts above the average, typically lasting 20 seconds,” I would hope the controller would ignore that completely and look at average wind speeds. If gusts are the deciding factor, I think I’m going to need to turn off the wind skip capability.

Ignore my previous post questioning whether gusts influenced wind skip. According to this post, the average wind speed is used, not gusts: Wind Skip Definition - #3 by franz

This still does not answer the question as to why both of our controllers initiated a wind skip when forecast and actual average winds were 10 mph and the wind skip setting is 20 mph.