Will Gen 2 allow a dual-band router?

Following up with our WiFi chipset vendor and testing to clear up any confusion.

:cheers:

Late to the party jemanner, but I suspect your problem is the latest firmware for the RT-AC68U breaks 2.4Ghz for many devices. You can either roll back to a previous firmware version until this gets fixed or there is a work around where you can go into 2.4Ghz wireless settings on the router and enable ā€œlegacy mode.ā€ This limits the 2.4Ghz band to b and g wifi (turns off n), but gets around the bug and will allow you to get your Rachio device up and running.

Had the same issue here on my RT-AC68P.

1 Like

Iā€™m at the latest firmware on the RT-AC68U, 3.0.0.4.380_1842. In Auto mode, with b/g Protection checked. If anything, the problem was with firmware a step or two back. All devices are working great.

Iā€™ve spoken with our WiFi vendor and support team. The consensus is it should work, but weā€™ve seen some routers where it doesnā€™t.

WiFi vendor:

Yes, the router knows which client is connected at which band and would take care of the bridging between the 2.4G band and 5G band.

Rachio support:

Iā€™ve had users confirm dual band works, others say it doesnā€™t ā€“ might depend on how the router handles dual band

Hope that adds a little more light on the subject :wink:

:cheers:

@david, great question. @jemanner nailed the answer. WiFi range was is critical for the controller as many users have it installed in garages, basements, sheds, etc. Unfortunately, 5ghz has a limited range (the higher the frequency, the shorter the range).

I believe the key variable with dual band routers is how they manage the dual bands. There are two types of dual band routers in the market; Simultaneous and Selectable. Each has very different capabilities and performance:

As you can see, Simultaneous dual band routers provide the ultimate in flexibility and performance by providing two independent, dedicated networks.

This 3rd party article does a nice job explaining how both types of dual band routers can react using a common printer example.

Hope this helps.

Best, Emil

1 Like

Really late to the party here but there is a 3rd party firmware for the rt86u and other asus routers called Merlin. It is basically the out of box firmware made more secure and reliable. Havenā€™t had any issues with it. Highly recommend. This is one of the best routers I have ever used to date.

1 Like

Can one revert back to the Asus firmware if they donā€™t like Merlin? However, Iā€™m doing great with my Rachio Gen 2 at the moment. Both bands on the RT-AC68U are active, and the Rachio is happy.

If Iā€™m not mistaken, Merlin (donā€™t know his real name) is actually used by ASUS to help them with firmware sometimes; Merlin just makes his own that has added stuff. Iā€™ve heard very good things about it. There are also dd-wrt and xVortex.

I use two dual-band routers and have everything turned on with no issues with my current Rachio v1. Having the 5Ghz turned on should have NO effect on the Rachio as it canā€™t even ā€œseeā€ that frequency.

1 Like

Gen 1 & Gen 2 Works fine with my dual band router (apple). It just connects on 2.4ghz and knows nothing about the 5ghz.

Iā€™ll also add another plug for ubiquity as mentioned by @plainsane. I have also recently started using open-mesh and been pretty happy as well. Both have very responsive support, but as mentioned a bit more for tinkerer.

I just canā€™t get a single router to cover my house/garage.

2 Likes

Yes you can go back and forth from Merlin to stock. But you wonā€™t ever want/need to. he provides a lot of patches to asus bugs in his builds that they pick up.

1 Like

Not a perfect solution but after struggling with this issue and finding a brief note about the 5ghz band in the manual I adding an additional dedicated AP for the rachio and it worked perfect. Iā€™ve decided to add all my home automation devices to this second SSID to separate it from my other devices.

For anyone that is curious I had 2 Aruba IAP-205s. Iā€™m actually using the AP on my FIOS router as the second network. I could have probably easily created a second SSID on the APs but this other option was easier/quicker.

2 Likes