So, the Gen 3 hardware is listed as having “Weather Intelligence Plus” (WI+) for “hyperlocal” weather data. The details are scant so far, and some quotes on various news sites add more confusion. Some seemed to indicate their is new specialized hardware, but others that it is just a software feature with new data aggregation.
Before I preorder the new hotness that is Gen 3, I have a few questions:
- Is WI+ a hardware feature? Are there new weather sensors (barometer, etc.) inside the Gen 3 hardware?
- If there are new hardware sensors, does indoor vs. outdoor mounting matter?
- If there are not new sensors, is WI+ coming to Gen 1 and Gen 2 hardware??
- If there are not new sensors and WI+ is not coming to Gen 1 and Gen 2, why not?
- If this is strictly a software feature chosen to be tied to Gen 3 hardware (presumably because you can’t just give new features away for free and still expect to make money), can Gen 1 and Gen 2 users get some WI+ love for some reasonable fee ($20?) sonwe don’t have to go to the trouble of upgrading?