Watering New Seed - Grouping Zones?

New to Rachio (coming from a Blossom controller), loving the results so far.

Question: I have planted new seed in a few small thin/bare areas in 3 of my zones. What is the best way to water these more frequently to keep them wet. I see I can do a manual zone-by-zone quick run for ~5 minutes a few times a day, but that seems like too much work (aka lazy).

Can I group just these 3 zones together to perform multiple short waterings until the seeds are germinating? Then, back to the normal schedule.

Possible? Poking around the app, I am not finding a way to do something like this.

You’ll need to set up fixed schedules for the time frame you want

1 Like

Thx, Mr. Suggs,

So, I presume I’d need to also remove these 3 zones from their normal flex daily schedule.

Seems like zones cannot belong to more than 1 schedule. Is that correct?

Mark

Zones can belong to more than one Fixed schedule.

What I did when I put down some seed (flowers, but same idea) was to set up multiple Fixed schedules: one at 8 am, 12, 2, 4, 6, for 2 minutes each. It was in a shaded spot, so didn’t get much sun until like 1 pm, hence the gap in the morning. And you can set an end date, so you can taper off the watering by ending one run (like the 2 pm one) while keeping the others, so that the little plants get used to having to grow down to reach water.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. But realize that the multiple watering times for your seed will reduce the total water applied by the Flex Daily schedule. That’s not necessarily bad; I do that in a grass zone where my wife also has flowers planted: water once or twice with a manual schedule to give them a break in the heat of the day.

Zones cannot belong to more than 1 Flex Daily schedule; they can be in a Flex Daily and Fixed schedule(s) though. Not sure about Flex Monthly; don’t think I’d try that combination.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing for a week and it seems to be working well.
I created 3 separate Fixed schedules with all my zones on it (because I did a LOT of re-seeding this spring) and I have each zone run for 3min in each of those schedules.

I left my Flex Daily schedule alone with all zones included. And it’s tracking everything with the excess water. All my zones are around 90-110% full, so it’s been skipping the regular Flex Daily watering schedule.
All three of my “seeding” schedules will auto-expire after May 31, then it’ll all go back to normal on Flex Daily.
So far so good! Though I fear what my next water bill will be to grow all this new grass.

2 Likes