Water in irrigation control box

I just installed Rachio 3. Had the Hunter Xcore. Did not see a master valve with the wiring. In the app, I chose “neither” for not having a master valve or pump. System works great BUT on Day 2 I noticed the irrigation box (in ground) is full of water, actively leaking to the street and can hear water running. I shut off the water supply to the sprinkler system and the water leak stopped. Could it be my wiring is incorrect? Or should I have chosen Master Valve on the app? I am waiting for the water to drain from the box now before turning the water back on.

This is the wiring in the new Rachio 3

I do not see a master valve/pump or sensor on the Hunter, so not connected to Rachio or enabled in the app. I believe the Hunter’s remote is red, white, & blue. Since Rachio’s remote is your phone, those should not be connected (possibly red & white are, but should not). Everything else looks good from what I can tell.

When I have seen the in-ground irrigation box filling with water, it usually is a valve or line from the main going to the valve (since probably no zones were running). I would let it dry, turn the water back on and try to figure out where the water is coming from.

1 Like

I spoke with Rachio support and it was suggested I removed the red and white wires on the far right which are AC connectors which are not needed for Rachio. I removed the red/white wires and for good measure unplugged and re-plugged in the Rachio control box. I turned the main water valve back on to the sprinkler system. Water then starts free-flowing into the irrigation box like a hose. Our original Hunter X-Core system was just three years old and had no issues before installing Rachio on Friday. I noticed the irrigation box leak on Sunday (no idea if it was wet/dry on Saturday) but I know with certainty it was not leaking prior to switching to Rachio. If anyone has any other ideas, I welcome any other suggestions. Otherwise, I will need to contact a professional irrigation company.

@Lmheiser - sounds like a broken pipe or valve top.

We could be wrong, but the leak happening a couple of days after installing the Rachio seems to be a coincidence.

3 Likes