Want to green up your lawn without harsh chemicals?

Use milk. Yep, cow’s milk, whether it’s whole, skim, 2 %, nonfat–it makes no difference, although raw provides the most benefits. The amino acids, proteins, enzymes and natural sugars benefit the microbes and fungi in the soil.

It also acts as an insecticide on soft-bodied insects because they can’t digest the sugars in milk.

“In 2004, Dave Wetzel (a Nebraska farmer) dumped the unpasteurized skim milk on his alfalfa and cool-season grass pastures evenly. Within a few weeks, he noticed greener grasses that his herd flocked towards. Not only were cattle drawn to the milk-fed grass, the area showed higher yields while soil core sampling displayed increased ground porosity.”

Here’s a link to the article: http://www.minnesotafarmguide.com/news/regional/milk-works-as-fertilizer-says-preliminary-study/article_028652ea-849c-11e0-9dcc-001cc4c03286.html

This is a new one to me!! I use vinegar as a weed spray and a concoction of beer, mouthwash and soda to green up the lawn and those both work well. I may just have to give milk a try, too!

BTW, I can hear the comments now–“But why waste the beer?”:smile:

2 Likes

Sounds pretty wild to me, but there are nutrients in milk for sure.I will stick with my Howard Johnsons fertilizer with Wolftrax.

I garden as organically as possible. Dr. Earth products are my choice.

1 Like

Good deal. I am not all into the organic thing when it comes to my lawn. I use preemergent herbicides proudly, and golf course grade fertilizers and fungicides sparingly. Use neem oil as my insecticide, but pyrethtins for mosquito control. Mosquitos are wicked here because of our high rainfall. Do my part by composting, aerating and mulching.

1 Like

:+1::+1: for use of neem and pyrethrin, composting and mulching. Me too.

Would you believe that in dry Arizona we have a lot of mosquitoes? Besides being annoying, they carry West Nile Virus.

I hardly remember what it’s like to live in an area with lots of rain and not be able to be outdoors in the evenings.

Well, as long as it’s Bud, you can waste all you want!!!

3 Likes

Whoa whoa… careful there, you almost called Bud a beer. :joy:

1 Like

I’m sorry @sunny, but here at Rachio, we do not believe in the wasting of beer, under any circumstances. I hear Bud is @franz’s favorite too.

This thread is fantastic :cheers:

1 Like

Hey, it’s not like I use craft beer or even ones brewed in Colorado.:grin:

Years ago I remember getting bit all over by mosquitoes and I had a fever for weeks. Doctor had no answer and there was no knowledge of West Nile or Zika virus. I hate that insect more than any other.

C’mon, I live in Golden, birthplace of Coors. Get your facts straight. Anything else would be treason.

:cheers:

@franz All that good craft beer in Colorado, and you’re drinking Coors??? C’mon man!!!

1 Like

Golden used to have 2 breweries, Coors and Golden City, now we have 6, so no lack of good beer here! Coors actually has a beer called Colorado Native, which you can only buy in Colorado, and it’s not too bad.

:cheers:

I’m not much of a beer drinker, but having grown up just 50 miles south of the Colorado line–well gotta give Colorado credit when it comes to beer.

One of my favorites comes from Durango–The Durango Brewing Company. They’ve been brewing beer since 1990 and actually date back to the late 1800s, which makes them one of the oldest in Colorado. Their seasonal blueberry wheat is one I take home and serve to guests. Definitely not on the grass! :cheers:

2 Likes

Coors Original actually takes home top prizes in the American Lager category almost every year at the Great American Beer Festival. It is highly regarded as a top notch lager, but since craft brewing has gone to the hop heads and fruity concoctions, many forget about a simple easy drinking lager. Surprisingly the big guys usually dominate the American Lager category, including Pabst.

A buddy of mine just missed edging out Coors for the #1 slot in the American Lager category at GABF with his Mexican style lager. I may be partial, but I prefer his over a Coor original anyday… :slight_smile: #shamelessplugforlonetreebrewing

1 Like

@tmcgahey Your friend is not too far from us in Lone Tree… I may have to go give that a try!

I’m all for the smaller craft breweries!!! And your buddy beat out Sycamore Brewing, which is local to me. The first beer I ever had was Coors, back when it was a 3.2 beer and we could drink at the age of 18. I drank WAY too much of it in college, and really avoid it now. I’ve heard of Lone Tree – would love to give them a try if I ever make it out to Colorado again!

1 Like

@mckynzee Do it! Get @franz to rent out the back room for a customer appreciation day and I’ll fly up there! :joy:

They have some really good beers there, and have a something for everyone…I’m not a huge fruit guy, but they have a Peach Pale Ale that I really like, and their Imperial IPA is one of the easiest drinking IIPA’s I’ve had.

@Linn, Yes! Apparently it was the first time ever that 2 craft breweries took home medals in that category. Like I said, it is dominated by the big buys…Lone Tree and Sycamore actually did a cross country collaboration after they won. I wish I could have tried it! https://www.craftbeer.com/news/brewery-news/lone-tree-brewing-sycamore-brewing-collaborate-breakthrough-india-pale-lager

3 Likes