Upgrade from Gen 1 to 3

I have a generation one. And I’m going to buy a three. Can I transfer my zones from generation one to generation three? I am hoping that I don’t have to start all over again.

Yes, as long as you aren’t going from a 16 --> 8 zone.

:cheers:

1 Like

It would have been more helpful to have a bit more detail than just “yes”. I have the same issue now that the gen 1 will be bricked. Hopefully the process will become more clear as I begin the actual changeover. Right now I’m just trying to do some homework.

What more detail are you looking for? I would disagree that no support for a product means it will be bricked especially when Rachio has said something like it will still work for an unforeseeable future. Like anything else in this category, it may no longer be useable after some period of time without updates, etc.

1 Like

Perhaps something as mundane as where to look for a more complete answer on how to proceed? I could have used a different word than “bricked”, but the only difference would be in how long it takes to become reality. Not faulting Rachio at all and certainly not trying to offend anyone. Reset?

How to proceed? Purchase a new unit at a discount (per Rachio email), plug in, go through the set up prompts, at some point it will ask if you have an existing controller to migrate, select yes, and it will pull previous settings down. Like @franz said, as long as the new G3 unit doesn’t have LESS zones, it is a very simple process.

The other “extreme” on the option to proceed is to wait until it cannot be used and then get a new unit. Obviously, somewhere in between the two ends (buy “now” because want to or buy “when required”) is an option too. I really do not recommend “when required” as it will likely be the most inopportune time according to “Murphy’s Law”.

Simple question and now a clear answer. Thank you. And thanks to Thomas for his input about when things decide to fail. Couldn’t agree more. BTW, I already have the gen 3 unit. I wanted to do some research before I got into it and got stuck by something I hadn’t anticipated.

1 Like