Update? More than 16 zones?

@Gene, it is explained here. The answer to the question of what to do if you have more than 12 zones is:

The Netro app is capable of managing multiple controllers. You can link two controllers together. You will need to have at least two “common” wires so that each controller gets one. If there is only one “common” wire, it needs to be connected to both controllers by using a wire splitter.

I’m not talking about how many controllers can be on my account. I’m referring to running more than 16 zones in a unified manner, which is the topic of this thread. For example, if I have 24 zones, I need two Rachio controllers, but they do not sync with each other in any way. The Netro allows me to sync the controllers so they operate like one controller with 24 zones.

Seems like Rachio is no different in that respect, Here is the support article outlining multiple controller use:

In the link you’ve shared, Answer to question: “How do I add the second device to my account?” states that “there will be a dropdown menu on the home page where you can navigate between the two controllers”.

To me Netro is not doing anything more than what Rachio allows you to do already.

@Gene, you’re right. This article led me astray. I emailed them for clarification and it turns out they cannot be used to control more than 16 zones in a unified manner.

@dblagent007 thank you for sharing your research.

Interesting idea. (But I have a 16 and a 12 controller with 28 zones, so no spare zone…) Maybe I sacrifice one zone…

If you have room in your setup for a cheap relay like this (link), you can quickly setup master valve sharing between your controllers. Something like this:

Feel free to take pictures and/or describe your needs further. Challenge accepted :wink:

Gene

2 Likes

I’ve got 5 bundles for 28 zones. The control valve is in one of the bundles. So at a high level, is this the architecture I should use?

Very much appreciate your help!

You are close, but missing a few wires going to the relay. Keep in mind that terminal numbers are based on the relay I’ve linked to in my previous post. Here is the details of the base labels:

1. An additional wire from the white common bundle to the relay would need to be made. Connect common to terminal 13 of the relay.
  2. Hookup the wire from the P / M terminal of the 16 zone system to the terminal 14 of the relay.
  3. Connect P / M terminal of the 12 zone system to terminal 1 of the relay
  4. Connect 24V- terminal of the 12 zone system to terminal 5 of the relay
  5. Connect line going to your master valve within your 1st bundle to terminal 9 of the relay.

You should be all set after these 5 steps.

3 Likes

Awesome! 2nd Rachio arrives tomorrow. And relay switch also I hope. I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

So I think I got it all working. Thanks Gene!

In testing it, both systems seem to run independently simultaneously. Is that the correct behavior?

1 Like

I have two controllers wired with relays - works OK

Scheduling would be so much easier if there were a hardware or software fix to program all of the zones

I would spring for hardware in a second

PS my company also uses rachio for our buildings we would also spring for new controllers

It isn’t that difficult by two controllers the software allows you to have multiple controllers on one device just name the Zone something different for instance once you reached on 16 and you go to the next song on the next timer instead of name and its own one name its own 17 then 18 then 19 then 20 and name the controllers 1 + 2

I’ve got a question I haven’t seen answered yet. Let’s say I currently have 18 zones and I want the 16-zone Rachio controller. I wouldn’t mind just disabling a couple zones to get down to 16. How do I do that?

Don’t hook them up…

Or, could a couple zones possibly be combined? That is what I did originally to get my old 18 zone hunter down to my 16 zone Rachio. Since then, I have swapped sprinkler nozzles and have been able to combine additional zones, with the plan to add a garden zone or two…

Hi @gene, I updated my original slide to incorporate your complete solution. I’m assuming it doesn’t matter which 24V- I connect to?

The only downside with the setup you’ve described (whereas 24- power is coming from the same controller driving pin 14) is that controller #1 may not see the current draw from the master valve if it tries to activate at the same time as #2. Depends on the controller firmware, it may flag this as a solenoid failure. Driving pins 1 and 5 of the relay from the same controller avoids this issue to some degree.

Other than that, your drawing should work. Good job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good to know. Fixed.

1 Like

Sigh. Pretty disappointing. This is one of those things that’s easy to implement up front if you get your domain model right, but harder to retrofit into an existing software / data model. Hindsight is 20/20 though…

I’ve been checking in every once in a while on this, but I guess you’re saying we should stop hoping for Rachio to serve our use case? That’s a bold statement.

I am waiting literally for years for covering 24 zones. I understand Rachio’s product strategy, they want DIY market, and not the commercial space. However, in some southern states, like here in TX, having 20+ zones is fairly normal. It is hilly here, where the number of heads is determined by topology and available pressure, many folks are on well water as well, and we have large lots, at least in older and rural neighborhoods. Even in my last suburban house on a 1/6th acre micro lot, we ended up with 11 zones. I know have 24 on 2/3rd acres. At the same time, our water is the most expensive in the nation with $16 per 1000/gal. So, Rachio is dearly needed.

Sadly, they’ve made their position on 24 zones very clear. I switched to Hunter Hydrawise which is working well for me!