Unable to connect when using Unifi AP

It isn’t. The difference is literally unchecking the “Enable resolution services” option in the Synology DNS UI. From Synology’s help topic on the setting:

You can enable resolution services to allow the DiskStation to resolve recursive queries. A recursive query occurs when the DiskStation is not authoritative for a requested domain. In this case, the DiskStation queries other domain name servers until the information is found, or until the query fails.

For example, if a client queries your DiskStation for the address of “synology.com,” but your DiskStation is not authoritative for this domain (i.e. you do not own synology.com), it will query other domain name servers or forward the request to specified forwarder servers, and then relay the result back to the sender of the query.

And for completeness: enabling DNS forwarding on my DNS server resulted in the Rachio connecting almost instantly. No need for any special wifi network or anything.

2 Likes

That makes sense then, as a device should move to the next DNS server in its list. If it got back a non valid domain response then I’d expect it to stop at that response.

Rachio engineering confirmed that the firmware for v2 devices doesn’t support falling back on a refused response. Ah well, I’m just glad I was able to sort out what was going wrong.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! This worked for me using a Rachio 3 with Ubiquity UniFi AP-nanoHD firmware v4.3.13.11253 and Cloudkey Gen2+ on controller firmware v5.13.29. Also running Untangle 15.0 UTM Firewall.

The path in the Cloudkey Gen2+ Settings -> WI-FI -> Wi-Fi Networks Groups -> Select the WLAN Group -> Edit -> Slide switch to enable Legacy Support.

To add to this, I will setup a dedicated WLAN group with a single AP-nanoHD that has the Legacy Support on. This way legacy support is enabled only on this AP. The reason for it is that when Legacy Support is enabled, it slows down throughput.

Here is the verbiage on the Legacy Support slider; “Enable 802.11g protection mechanisms for legacy devices, which will reduce throughput and increase latency. We recommended setting up a separate WLAN network specifically for legacy devices”

Thanks again.

Same issue as everyone here. Gen 2 was working now not.
Model 8ZULW-B
getting a flashing 3rd light.
Tried to reset. On 2nd flashing light says connection to my wifi successful
then updating firmware for like a 20 sec
then adding rachio to wifi for like 60 sec
third light starts flashing on my rachio
then oops we couldnt connect try to do it all again

tried to use my Win pc with the .bat file
connect to rachio wifi
enter all my creds
tells me it cant connect to https://192.168.0.1/config port 443
when I check my IP after connects to the rachio its on the 192.168.10.x subnet?

DM me some help Rachio!!

Try changing the address in your command from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 to match the subnet you are getting.

I disagree with @gene on this one. Gen 2 uses an elliptic curve algorithm for provisioning, so the .bat file is useless. However, the fact that your controller advanced to the flashing 3rd light indicates that provisioning was successful so the .bat file should not be needed.

When stuck with the 3rd light flashing, the controller has connected to the target network but is unable to obtain an IP address, can’t get the time, or can’t connect to the cloud server. You can confirm this hypothesis by setting up another phone as a temporary mobile hotspot (test it with your phone to confirm it’s working), then setting up the controller on the hotspot network. If successful, that will also allow you to set up some fixed schedules and get the water flowing, in case it will take a long time to fix the problem. If connecting to the hotspot also fails, provide details and we can investigate the provisioning process further.

Though I have no experience with the latest Ubiquiti APs, with default settings the older ones are pretty transparent and IMO are unlikely to be causing your trouble. Does your router have a built-in Wi-Fi that the Rachio can ‘see’? If so, you could try connecting to that, to rule out the Unifi.

If you still have trouble, please report: ISP? Modem make/model? In bridge mode? Separate router/firewall make/model (if any)? Separate access points? Connected wired or wirelessly?

tried it, but it still couldnt get to the page

The 3rd light flashing indicates that the app did its job setting up Wi-Fi, but the controller is having trouble on your Wi-Fi.

FYI on our solution.

I recently upgraded firmware and reconfigured our Unifi APs for better coverage. Our old Rachio Gen 1 stopped connecting to the 2G WLAN broadcast from our outdoor Unifi AP-AC-Mesh.

After trying, without success, many of the recommendations in this thread and other posts concerning Rachio equipment not playing well with Ubiquity APs, I installed a Wi-Fi range extender between the AP and Rachio, extending the 2G WLAN to a ssid-name_2EXT and ssid-name_5EXT. The old Rachio successfully connects to the extended ssid-name_2EXT.

I’m puzzled why Rachio won’t connect directly to the Unifi AP and why it works through an extender to the same AP, and I’m disappointed by the addition of an extender to our tech stack, but I’m thankful to have the Rachio working again.

Anyone have a thought why this works? I believe this solution demonstrates that the problem has nothing to do with our firewall/router and intelligent switches, but is specifically tied to Rachio and Unifi APs not playing well together.

Recently updated to Unifi wifi 6 APs, and, at least for Gen 3 controller, connection is solid.
Unifi supports up to 4 SSIDs for each 2.4 and 5 ghz, I have mine connected to IoT dedicated SSID which only serves a 2.4 (2G) signal. My phone / computers are connected to a separate hybrid SSID which serves both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels.

Have you tried creating a dedicated 2.4 SSID within your Unifi setup?

Yes. I disabled the 5G SSID on the AP. Didn’t help.

@BradMelton - There is a WiFi setting on Unifi that adjusts the minimum bandwidth and that was knocking the thermostats that I have off-line. One thermostat was within 15 feet of the access point, so it wasn’t a signal strength issue. See if the Auto Optimize Network setting is enabled → Go to settings >> system settings >>disable new user interface >> go to settings >> site and check if auto optimise network option is enabled?

I’ve had no issues with Rachio connecting to any of the following UniFi gear as long as I’m joining it to a 2.4Ghz-only SSID.

UAP-AC-Lite
UAP-AC-Pro
U6-Lite
U6-LR

Did you set a minimum RSSI or anything?

Reviving an old thread in case it helps someone else.

I just set up a new unifi network with 2x Unifi6 Pro’s and my rachio kept joining and disconnecting constantly. Blinking 2nd and 3rd section on a gen 3 controller.

Its too bad this thing has 5Ghz wifi as it seems to be causing more problems than not supporting it at all. Is there any plan to improve this?

@contactcr - I have 3 U6 LR access points and my Rachio stays connected to the closest one.

Using the Unify interface what is the signal strength when the Rachio connects to each access point? Have you tried locking the Rachio to one access point? Minimum RSSI isn’t enabled on the access points are they? How about creating a dedicated WiFi network on just one access point and connect the Rachio to that network?

Funny thing, I had a Watering Delay on so the controller flashing lights fooled me into thinking I was getting WiFi troubleshooting lights. Regardless that is not the issue.

Last night it was reconnecting every few minutes until I locked it to one AP. It stayed connected via 5Ghz for a while but sometime overnight decided it did not like that anymore either. Now I have it connected to a 2.4G only network with the defaults: BSS Transition-Enable, 802.11 DTIM Period- Auto, Minimum Data Rate Control-Auto

So far it’s fine but I guess time will tell. Are you referring to Minimum Date Rate? It seems well above any minimum threshold but I guess I can change that if necessary.

In the Rachio app: RSSI -74 Firmware: iro3-firmware-hk-5-632

In UniFi:

WiFi Network
xxxx_iot24
Band / Channel
2.4 GHz / 11
Signal
-73 dBm
WiFi Standard
WiFi 4
MIMO Configuration
1x1
Uptime
17m 44s
Activity (24hrs)
3.37 MB
Rx Rate
65.0 Mbps
Tx Rate
39.0 Mbps

@contactcr, this is the setting I was referring to:

Under settings when looking at the access point under devices.

The minimum data rate speed caused me issues with some Honeywell thermostats, but I don’t think Rachio was impacted.

Let’s see how long it stays connected.

@DLane thanks found it. Looks like it’s disabled by default. We’ll see how the dedicated and locked AP 24g network fares. So far so good.

1 Like