Trouble editing schedules, app hangs more often than not


#1

I installed my rachio device this week and completed the initial setup. The device is connected to the wifi, and I created a watering schedule. My problem is that when I attempt to set up or edit a schedule (or anything on the device) 90% of the time, the app hangs and eventually times out. Can anything be done about this? I seem to have a strong enough wifi signal, so I don’t think that’s the issue.


#2

Hi @jc_goblue!

It sounds like your controller may be offline, are all four blue LEDs solidly lit? Which app are you using, is it the web app, the iOS app, or the Android app?

McKynzee :rachio:


#3

The blue lights are all lit, and the app says the unit is online. I’m using my android phone.


#4

I’ve been experiencing this, too. I’m using an iPhone 7 and have a brand new modem and router at home, and no other device is giving me problems, but I’ve actually come to dread using the Rachio app because of how slow it is. I’ve only had it time out and quit once or twice, but it takes a good 30 seconds or so every time I tap on something before it loads. The web interface is no better.


#5

I was able to manually start watering using the remote, then immediately after that I tried to update a schedule. It showed “Please wait” for a long time, then finally it timed out and said “Request timed out. Please check connection.” I don’t understand why some of the features work and not others. The unit shows as online the entire time.


#6

It sounds to me like there is something in your network settings bogging down your requests. Your commands go from your phone/computer, to the Rachio’s servers, and then back to the Rachio. It is fairly likely that the issue there is the part between command coming from the servers and through your local network to get to the Rachio. I would recommend reaching out to the support team and having them diagnose your network and check your Rachio’s system logs.


#7

I bought an extender for my wifi, and that seems to have fixed the problem. It had a good enough connection with my main wifi network to do the initial setup, but larger pieces of data like schedules were timing out.