Toro PSS-KIT Precision Soil Moisture Sensor Kit install with Rachio 3

I’m about to purchase a “Toro PSS-KIT Precision Soil Moisture Sensor Kit” from Amazon.com.

Does anybody know the correct wiring setup for a Rachio 3?

This is a link to the Toro Soil Moisture Sensor “User’s Guide”. See page 8 for wiring.

https://www.toro.com/en/sports-fields-municipalities/irrigation-sensors-remotes/precision-soil-sensor

If you could let me know which color wire goes to which connector on the Rachio it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Does this help? Gen3 should be close…I think @Gene or @DLane could close any gaps.

@sarachio We need to update this for Gen 3 :wink:

:cheers:

1 Like

The wiring is different in your example. Maybe it’s for an older or different model of the Toro. Attached is a JPG wiring diagram of the Toro Model I’m planning on buying.pdf%20-%20Adobe%20Acrobat

If you could let me know which color wire goes to which connector on the Rachio it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

1 Like

Rachio documentation shows brown and white wires used (besides the two red power wires), this is correct as you normally need a NC (normally closed) output. Documentation does not mention the yellow wire as it should be left unused.

Here is the link to the wiring diagram:

Please note that there are two wires connected to the 24V- terminal (white and Red). Polarity of the red wires does not matter (thus it does not matter which one connects to which 24V terminal).

Cheers,
Gene

P.S. Happy to fill in @franz :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @Gene, way above my paygrade.

:cheers:

2 Likes

Jeezzz. I guess I must be getting a little color blind in my old age. In the Rachio drawing I didn’t realize that what appeared to be a Grey wire to me was “White” wire and what appeared to be a “Dark Red” wire to me was the Brown.

I was thinking the Rachio drawing was for an older Toro Model or different Toro Model.

I’m set now. Thanks for the help. Amazon here I come.

3 Likes

Hi,

I have used the Toro wireless water sensors at one of my clients. It works best for turf because the tines are short. They are not good for succulents or cactus and they do not work in coarse media such as decomposed granite.

The sensor will tell the controller to keep watering until the calibrated saturation point is met. You do not set it to water on specific days. You will need the sensor and the repeater device to get the signal from it to the controller.

I think there are soil sensors out there with longer tines for shrubs and BaseLine makes sensors for trees.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info…

I finally got around to installing the Toro Soil Moisture Sensor. It seems to be working fine so far. Thanks for all the help. Here’s a few photos. In the wiring photo you’ll see three thicknesses of wires. The thinnest wires are from the Toro Soil Moisture Sensor. The next thickest wires are the Rachio Flow Sensor and the thickest wires are from the Sprinkler Valves.

2 Likes

Gen 3 needs its own Rachio wireless soil moisture sensors. :wink:

3 Likes

The Toro moisture sensor has short tines and is for turf. For shrubs and trees, I think the Rain Bird sensor would be better since is has 4-6" tines.

3 Likes

I agree with @franz.

2 Likes

Agreed! That’s would be great!

2 Likes

I agree 100%, obviously we are all want the perfect lawn and save on our water time. Wireless sensors are a no brainer. I know Spruce has its own controller and sensors, now I kinda wish I went with them.

@dacoleman how is the Toro moisture sensor working for you? I’ve been thinking of adding one to my Rachio 3.

Jim

It seemed to work fine for the 6 months or so I had it. Regretfully the place I chose to place it was a foot or so from my water shut off valve so I could easily find it when needed. Regretfully this location was not too far from my side walk. It went missing after 6 months or so of use.