Sprinklers ran inspite of rain prediction

My Sprinklers ran last night at 10pm in spite of heavy rain predicted for today, did something change in the algorithm? I haven’t changed any settings on end. When I open up Zone Moisture level, the precipitation expected today is 2.24 inches.

My weather intelligence is set to Not water if 0.125 inches of rain is received.

We don’t look at predictions for the next day (tomorrow_, only for the current day that the irrigation schedule is supposed to run.

:cheers:

hmm…for some reason I thought it worked before. I used to receive emails like the one below.

" It’s wet out there! The weather service in your area observed 0.83 in of precipitation in the past 24 hours. Based on predicted weather, we estimate your yard will receive approximately 2.01 in of precipitation in the next 24 hours. The estimated total for your yard is 2.84 in of precipitation over a 48 hour period.

This is above your current Rain Skip threshold of 0.125 in, so Weather Intelligence determined no additional watering is necessary."

This FAQ (https://support.rachio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010540788-Rain-Skip) says it looks at 24hrs in the future too.

The software checks yesterday observed precipitation and “today” (the day the schedule will run) observed or predicted, whichever is greater. Hope this helps clarify.

:cheers:

Why not include tomorrow’s prediction as well? That should increase the efficiency of the system, and avoid unneded watering such as that reported by @ronmis

My sprinklers were set to run at 10pm May 28th, so weather intelligence checked to see if it rained on the 27th and on the 28th and as it did not rain, the sprinklers ran. We received 1.5" of rain on May 29th at 10am, 12 hours after the sprinklers ran, so according to the FAQ, the sprinklers should not have run. I’m confused, if that is not supposed to happen, then the FAQ should be updated, it will be a nice feature to have though.

How does Rain Skip work?

Rain Skip checks the weather one hour before your watering schedule starts. Any time a schedule’s preselected rainfall threshold is met using observed and forecasted rainfall (rainfall in the last 24 and the next 24 hours), the watering schedule is skipped. For example, if you have your rain threshold set to 0.5", and it rained 0.25" in the last 24 hours and is expected to water more than 0.25" in the next 24 hours, your schedule will be skipped.

1 Like

Was the weather station selected forecasting that amount of rainfall?

I don’t think weather stations can forecast rain. I’m not sure how rachio gets forecasted rain, maybe from a weather source.

The weather stations themselves don’t, but the backend that talks to them and distributes the data to companies like Rachio and/or others.