Soil percentage

I’m not sure about the advanced section I have a really messed with it. But the basic stuff is good in my overlap in the zones are good

What sprinkler nozzles do you have? Make and model?

In that zone, Rain bird 1804van only and in my main zone, rain bird 42sa only

So, for the zone with the 18 series VAN’s…this chart shows that they will have a PR from 1.58" - 2.39" depending on overlap pattern, pressure, and arc. My advice would be to find something in the middle to get a good average. You would plug that number into the “Nozzle Inches Per Hour” in the advanced settings.

For the 42SA rotors, I’ll need to dig a bit to find the specs on those…

Wow. I had no idea got this deep. I appreciate you looking.

This takes my level of nerdery to new heights thank you!

1 Like

Rachio can work well with the right defaults set up, but you can REALLY dial it in with just a little bit of extra effort and knowledge. That’s why I laugh at people that get mad at all the extra stuff you can change and adjust in Rachio. There are literally HUNDREDS of sprinkler nozzle combinations on the market…Rachio can only have 1 default.

And, welcome.to the club! :nerd_face:

yeah it amazes me how much people complain about how versatile this machine really is. Maybe they shouldn’t have got it in the first place. Or maybe gotten an earlier generation that doesn’t have nearly that controls. It seems like they were looking for just a simple on-off from their phone. I like messing with the app. But I love the idea of being able to set it and forget it

1 Like

I’m on 2 Gen1’s, 4 years strong (I have new Gen3’s to install and play with when I have time), and the setting are all the same. Only thing I’m lacking is flow meter fun, and the extra weather intelligence plus.

I didn’t mean that to be condescending to anyone. And I apologize if that came off as rude. I just meant if people are going to complain about all the extra features, then they probably should get a simpler unit. Not that this unit is difficult, but definitely something with less controllability. More of a on off type situation

Were you able to find the details on the 42sa?

Sorry, lost track of this thread!

So, it looks like the 42SA rotors use a 5000 series nozzle. Here are the PR’s for those nozzles. Now, rotors are much different than standard spray or rotory nozzles, since the head swings back and forth. A 1/4 turn radius will water the same area of grass 4 times before a 360 radius will make a full loop. Normally, a well designed rotor setup will utilize a number of different nozzles for each radius, so that the same amount of water gets applied whether it is a full sweep, 1/4, or half. So for instance, you might have an 8.0 nozzle in a full sweep rotor, and a 1.5 (roughly 1/4 the PR) in a 1/4 sweep rotor.

This is something I’d love to fix in my own yard for the system we inherited when we purchased the home. We have 42 Hunter I-20 rotors across 7 zones. Some are 360* and some are 180* or a bit less yet they all appear to have the same blue nozzle installed even in areas where the spray patterns overlap.

Check them though…rotor nozzles usually come in “trees”, all the same color, but with all the nozzle PR combinations included. Look closely on the nozzle somewhere and you will see a number. Chances are if your system was installed by a competent installer, they are probably different nozzle numbers (higher on the full sweep, lower on the partial sweep).

That’s helpful thank you. I just saw the same blue and assumed they were the same. Time to get a closer look and document them.

When you have your face down in front of the nozzles looking for numbers, make sure no one else has control of your Rachio! :rofl:

2 Likes

lol… there’s a reason my wife doesn’t have the app on her phone.

1 Like