Soil moisture and precipitation

On another subject if someone could answer. I’m in Louisiana and it will have 20% chance of rain in the forecast everyday. Now we will get thunderstorms that pop up from nowhere in the afternoon. So it will pour for an hour. How will this effect my moisture percent in my yard. If the weather station adds in the amount of rain will it correct itself on my readings. Now last is what if it does not rain at the weather station.

Hi @Mike4 ,
Great question, if you are on a flex daily schedule, we will record the amount of precipitation that the weather station recorded and will adjust your schedules accordingly for the future. We also try to be proactive with other schedules and look 12 and 1 hour before your schedule starts to see what are the odds of it actually raining or not. Based on what we forecast and observed in precipitation, we would skip that schedule if it is above your set threshold.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

2 Likes

Ok this has happened again. I’m on the flex schedule and my weather station is Barksdale Air Force Base so I think it’s reall correct and only 4 miles from me. Now it rained for 4 days straight last week. The first day it showed no rain in the forecast the sprinklers ran. I was shocked. What do I have set wrong. I thought this was the best setting for hit it forget it. Please advise.

@Mike4 The system actually looks to be working well adjusting to weather over the last two weeks. As far as I can see back it didn’t water for the last 12 days (probably more) due to all the recorded rain. Your last precipitation was 4 days ago and the system tracked to zero since then. I did notice your depth of water (how much we irrigate in one watering) is extremely low (.23 inches) which means you will deplete fairly quickly. For your grass zone it is marked as warm season grass (default 9 inch root zone) but you have changed it to 3 inches effectively increasing your watering frequency by quite a bit (and also shortening the watering duration). If it was the standard 9 inches (or even 6 inches) it would have taken much longer for the system to track to zero. Hope this helps.

:cheers:

I should have explained further. In Louisiana we have very hard red clay. I did my best trying to figure out the water times. First of all before I put down the zoysia grass I put down an inch of top soil then an inch of sand. The roots on this grass are not very long. So if I had left it on the recommendation of the flex schedule the water goes a long time and runs into the street as soon as it gets down to the clay. Nothing gets through the gumbo. So I tried to figure out what was best. I shushed I didn’t have to water as much as I do but if not it runs off and the grass starts wilting in the 100 degree sun. When you said it didn’t run after the rain I was shocked. When I woke up it said it had run as scheduled? Anyway if you have any other suggestions then what I have I would be great full. Thanks mike