I know this is a super old thread, but I have the same issue and I’m still having some trouble understanding.
I’m new to Rachio, have a Gen2 controller that I’ve been working on setting up and got confused when trying to do my backyard because I have 4 zones that overlap each other. Here’s a very simplified pictorial representation (I have head to head coverage, but that can get confusing to look at so I just drew the symbol of the arc pattern)
I should also note, I believe whoever put the system in didn’t do the nozzles correctly because all the heads are the same nozzle in the back (Hunter PGP’s with blue 2.5 nozzles). So, I’m working on correcting that issue, but I’m still somewhat confused by how to input the correct info into my settings to account for the overlap.
As I’ve been working through the stuff on Hunter’s site to figure out which nozzles I need, it seems like my middle zones may have different PR’s than the outer zones. Does that matter as long as all the heads in one zone are matched to each other?
This is what I think my process should be moving forward (but looking for feedback here):
- Get new nozzles to match PRs of all heads in each zone
- Use theoretical values from Hunter’s specs to guesstimate total PR for the area in each zone
- Use catch cups to verify theoretical PR and adjust as needed.
- Input that value into Nozzle PR on advanced settings for each zone (or come up with a multiplier to compensate for the overlap between zones?)
- Adjust time values for overlapping zones or is efficiency a better option (essentially double the default for areas of overlap)? Does flex daily schedule adjust zone times based on weather? My fear is any adjustments I made might get lost if it adjusted to compensate for some extra hot or cool days.
Sorry if this is re-asking some of the same questions, but my brain is having trouble with this for some reason and I want to get it right.
This seems like a common situation for home lawns and while this forum post has been really helpful, I was surprised I couldn’t find anything in the web Help Center about this.