Setting times and dates questions

I’m new to rachio and will be installing a controller. I have “noised” around this community a bit and watched many videos which helps. I have not ran across a few things here, nor in videos, that I’ve been searching for so I hope it is OK if I ask here. .

1. How do rachio 3 controllers deal with “leap years” when setting for odd/even days?
  2. How do rachio controllers deal with daylight savings time?
  3. Can a “date range” be set for multiple years? Example: 1-1-2023 to 12-31-2028 (or never)
  4. Will “pause” during winter effect the schedule going into a new year if item 3. is possible?
    5 Does rachio recommend a single outlet surge protector of at least 1000 joules for the controller?

Any answers are appreciated… THX

I think I can answer 2, 3, and 4. Daylight saving time just automagically gets taken care of in the schedules. I have all my regular schedules set up with the day I made them and an end date of Never. When it comes time to stop them, I just disable them. Then when I’m ready to start them in the next season, I just set them to “enable”.

I do have some fixed schedules that I use for overseeding each year, and for those, I set up a specific start and end date each year as I never know when the overseeding is going to be done until shortly before it happens, and I want the watering to start right after it’s done.

Can’t answer odd/even as I haven’t needed to use it. I’m guessing it will react the same way as it does for any month that goes from 31 to 1.

Question 5 is for someone else to answer! Out of my wheelhouse.

THX @Linn … Sounds good so far…