Replacing Hunter Pro C

Hey guys!

Looking for help on replacing my old Hunter with the Rachio Gen 2. I don’t want to use my existing rain sensor so I can get rid of that and the power wires. However the red white and blue wires not sure what those are for?

Red / White and Blue cables are for Hunter remote (you will not need it and can disregard these wires as well)

Thanks Gene!

So all I’ll need is the COM and Zone wires and the rest I can scrap right?

Looks this way, should be a pretty straight forward setup.

@BankOmAn - it looks like there may be a Master Valve or Pump start relay in the system as I see a wire connected to the P/M terminal on the Hunter. So that wire will be needed also (in addition to the common and zones), along with configuring the Rachio app to turn that on.

I recently replaced my Hunter Pro C with a Rachio Gen 2, but I chose to keep the rain sensor. Any particular reason you prefer to remove it?

@DLane at first I thought so too (about the master valve), but unless the loose red wire was connected to the bottom terminal, there isn’t actually anything connected to P/M terminal as far as I can see (from this perspective, wire connected to zone 1 falsely appears to line up with the bottom P/M label).

@Gene, good eye. Yes, the perspective threw me off. I started counting down the wires from the top and ran out at 1.

The rain sensor is missing when I had my fence replaced so just figured I would scrap it all together.

The other loose red wires were from previous zones that were removed when we put the pool in.

When looking closer I noticed a black wire not hooked up. Guess I don’t need it if it wasn’t hooked up already?

@BankOmAn - if all the zones that are needed are running now, then no the black wire isn’t needed.

I’d step through each zone on the existing Hunter Pro C, for just a minute, so that one knows they are in a known good and working state before switching over. This way any problems can be identified and fixed before too many changes are introduced.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Everything is hooked up and running. Had a hard time confirming my drip lines were on so just assuming they’re working for the time being.

Thanks again!!

:tada: @BankOmAn Congrats on the new controller, and welcome to the community!

I have similar questions, but haven’t seen comments regarding the common wire. I have a 16 zone system replacing my Hunter Pro C. The Pro only has one common. Do I need a common on both connection blocks or just before Zone 1

@usn68 - any of the four C(ommon) terminals on the Rachio 16 zone system can be used. Doesn’t matter which one.