Rachio 3 - Solar Powered (with battery)

Hi All,

I’ve ordered a Rachio 3 which is on it’s way from the US via Amazon - I’m Australian based and will do all the necessary mods to get it working legally.

I don’t have grid power anywhere near the location of the garden/lawn the Rachio 3 will be stationed thus I’m thinking of creating a simple solar/battery setup that will be enough to power the Rachio 3.

Has anyone done this? Any advice?

I’m hoping to keep it simple:

1. 12V 100watt panel
  2. 12v 10AH battery
  3. MPPT solar battery charger
  4. DC>DC Step Up converter to keep the unit powered in 24V (like this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/dc-to-dc-step-up-voltage-converter-module/p/AA0237).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack.

Not sure that is going to work as I think the Rachio needs a 24v AC power supply, not DC…

1 Like

I have not done this, but maybe a 12VDC to 24VAC inverter may be used instead of the DC to DC step up converter.

Thanks Pedro - This unit looks to be a winner - inv-12dc-24vac | PowerStream

Hi Tomas, @Pedro noted the some thing. Thanks both for your suggestion. inv-12dc-24vac | PowerStream looks to be an option.

Hi, just want to find out if you got it working?

Yes - I’m now running a number of items off 12v DC charging via solar.

I have:

• 1 x 300 watt mono panel
  • 1 x 100ah sealed battery
  • 1 x 20 amp charge controller
  • 1 x 500 watt 12vdc/240ac inverter (this runs the rachio)

Off native 12vdc I run garden lighting, pressure pump for sprinters, CCTV etc.

I presume you mean a 24VAC inverter, not 240AC. :wink:

Nope. It was cheaper to go 12vdc>to240ac in an inverter - $40AUD for the 240vac inverter vs $240 AUD for the item from Powerstream. For the sake of a small amount of inefficiency that doesn’t bother me I couldn’t justify the extra $200AUD.

Okay, you said what I was thinking about going to 240VAC and then back down to 24VAC, but costs are definitely a consideration.