Rachio 3 keeps disconnecting from wifi intermittently

Hi all new to forum. I have been having an issue with my Rachio 3. At first all was ok but the all the sudden I noticed that the controller had the second blinking light on. After troubleshooting and submitting a support ticket I was told th as t the wifi signal to my controller was weak. I ended moving my wifi much closer but it seems like the problem hasn’t gotten any better.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

If you run this and provide the code I will have the engineering team review for any network anomalies.

:cheers:

Thx for the response. The app is asking me for a four digit code that should be provided by the support rep.

The article referenced above should have the code you need.

Thank you. I have completed the test and have the key. Should I paste it here or somewhere else.

Update: I placed the key in the open ticket i have.

It could be the merged network (same SSIDs) or the range extenders. If possible I would create a guest network from your main router (one band) and have the controller connect to that (no range extender) and see if that fixes the issue.

interesting topic for me with my gen 2. After many emails from support I learned that if I briefly lose internet connectivity (even if wifi network is intact) my controller will drop it’s connection. On gen 2 it’s a five minute manually intense process to reconnect.

I’m wondering if gen 3 is the same, or will it automatically reconnect like all of my many other smart home devices?

1 Like

How would putting controller on a guest network affect functionality if your also trying to incorporate into your Smart Home solution like Alexa or Google Home? Wouldnt that defeat the purpose?

@franz

I’ve had my Rachio 3 for about a year… it has dropped off my network a few time but in the past 7 days, twice. It requires me to unplug/replug for it to connect again.

This is a problem / bug with Rachio that I’d hope you’d try to fix… I have read threads dating back a few years on this forums and your answer has always been essentially “it doesnt work with semi-modern Wifi router” (e.g. any router in the last 3 years that is mesh and/or using the same SSID for 2.4 & 5.0 radios)

Are you trying to fix this in firmware? If your device has problems reconnecting if it fall off (which seems like the actual problem) then allow us to make it lock to a BSSID/ MAC address and that will fix the problem I suspect.

thank you

Just FYI, I’m using an ORBI mesh network with the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 and my Rachio 3 connects and runs just fine.

And I am using a Google mesh network with the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 and my Rachio connects and runs fine also.

I unplugged twice today and reset the Wifi… still stuck on 3rd light bar (Blue several times then Red)

Here’s a screenshot of wifi signals taken from my phone holding it 4 inches from the front of the Rachio

@ltek

If you run this and provide the generated code I can have the engineering team review the network and let you know if there are any issues that the team identifies.

Primary Router/AIMesh AP = ASUS RT-AX88U, Firmware Version 386.8
AIMesh Endpoint 1 AP = ASUS RT-AC88U, Firmware Version 386.7_2
AIMesh Endpoint 2 AP = ASUS RT-AC88U, Firmware Version 386.7_2
Discrete SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G.

It’s hard to believe, but in November 2022, this issue continues to exist. Out of 110 connected devices in our home, the Rachio3 is the only device to exhibit any issue with AIMesh and will not consistently remain on the network. I went so far as to ordering a new Rachio thinking there was a problem with the unit itself, but the new one behaved the same out of the box. The suggested “fix” is truly a Band-Aid, not an actual fix, however, that’s what we needed to do to make our Rachio work. We had to create a guest SSID/Network on the main AP/Router only to make it stay associated with that AP only to achieve persistent connectivity.

Troubleshooting the issue was frustrating because on occasion, the Rachio 3 would attach to the primary router successfully and stay connected for a time, but eventually, the Rachio would revert to constantly connecting/disconnecting from wifi in the event that it connected to one of the other mesh endpoints.

Fail Case:

Nov 3 12:29:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(505): eth7: Auth 58:D5:0A:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Nov 3 12:29:08 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(515): eth7: ReAssoc 58:D5:0A:XX:XX:XX, status: Successful (0)
Nov 3 12:29:08 hostapd: eth7: STA 58:d5:0a:XX:XX:XX IEEE 802.11: associated
Nov 3 12:29:08 kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
Nov 3 12:29:08 hostapd: eth7: STA 58:d5:0a:XX:XX:XX RADIUS: starting accounting session 2FBFC840E45EFC23
Nov 3 12:29:08 hostapd: eth7: STA 58:d5:0a:XX:XX:XX WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Nov 3 12:29:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[14812]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.70.253 58:d5:0a:XX:XX:XX
Nov 3 12:29:09 dnsmasq-dhcp[14812]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.70.253 58:d5:0a:XX:XX:XX Rachio-BCDAE8
Nov 3 12:29:09 kernel: 58:D5:0A:XX:XX:XX not mesh client, can’t update it’s ip

This is a problem that existed in pre-802.11n days and has been fixed by most OEMs/ODMs long ago. Please work with your wifi chip/driver manufacturer to resolve this. Otherwise, we’re happy with Rachio.

Exact same issue. Strong signal, just drops off once a week or so. Very annoying

I am here for the same reason, and I need an answer.