Rachio 3 did not come back after power failed

After power outages in recent storms my Rachio 3 stays solid red and won’t progress to connect. I’ve tried removing power and resetting router. Everything else on network reconnected fine. Any suggestions?

@slangley I am in the Denver area and experienced a power outage last Wednesday due to the storm and having the same issue. Tried everything but cannot get the device to pass the boot sequence.
I have been looking in the forums and looks like there are several people with this issue but no solution published yet.
I contacted support and waiting for a response.
I’ll update if I can make it work again.
M.-

FYI, below is the response from support so far. Neither the power cycle or factory reset had any effect for me. I did not update the firmware either…it seems coincident with the power loss. I will be disappointed if they want me to purchase a new unit (the old hunter lasted 20 years and was still going).

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be more than happy to help. When the Rachio gets stuck at the first quadrant blinking, this indicates that it is having an issue booting up fully. The most common and easiest fix for this issue is to simply power cycle your controller by unplugging it from the wall for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in.

If resetting the device does not work, the next step would be to try to fully reset the Rachio, as there may have been an issue with the device successfully updating its firmware; at which point the device needs to be factory reset.

NOTE: By performing performing a factory reset, all the offline information you have stored on the Rachio controller will be deleted. This will be restored as soon as the Rachio is brought back online.

Hold down the stop button until the light bar fully illuminates. The Rachio 3 will flash blue light to indicate success. The device will then shut down (white light bar shrinking to the middle), reboot (first quadrant flashing), and then get to quadrant 2 blinking (ready to connect to Wi-Fi).

If you have tried both of these troubleshooting steps, and your controller’s first quadrant is still blinking (or has turned solid red), please let us know. We may need to replace the unit if you are still within warranty.

Please get back to us when you can and let us know how it goes. If you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime, please let us know!

2 Likes

Dreaded Blink of Death

Purchased Rachio Gen 3 in September of last year. I was very impressed with the controller until a recent brief power interruption sent the device into reboot limbo. Per Rachio’s recommendation, I opened an online service request and received an automated reply that help would be provided within 48 hours – 120 hours later and not a peep from Rachio Support, while thousands of dollars of new planting are drying up in my yard. Not willing to give up hope, I contacted Rachio Support online again to make sure I did not miss a reply – silence, ouch.
I have reviewed posts by numerous users that have encountered the dreaded blink of death after a power outage. Following support provided online for what appears to be a “Boot Error One” (If the first quadrant is blinking white with one red, this indicates a boot failure.), I unplug the controller, pressed down on the white button (the directional pad with Rachio symbol) to clear any residual charge within the controller – to no avail. My conclusion – controller is DOA. If I ever hear back from Rachio, I am not sure if I want a warranty period replacement, or perhaps I will hit the “global reset button” and start over with a wifi controller provider that offers better customer service.

@CoquinaMan - Rachio’s warranty period it two years. You should be covered.

1 Like

I have the reboot error also. Unplugging the controller for 30 seconds isn’t helping. Does the full wiping of it’s memory work? I haven’t been able to reach anyone on the support line and would like to try something.

So my schedule/Calendar settings have not “restored” how long does this take? It’s been 12 hours. Re-creating all the zone information and schedule will be a tremendous task.

What did you end up doing?

This happened to me, and Rachio had to send me a new unit. Now it’s happened again on the new unit, even with a surge protector in place. I guess I’ll request yet another replacement, but it seems like it may just happen again and I may need to find a different brand.

I have my unit plugged into a rack mounted UPS system and have had this same thing happen to me 3 times now. I’m on my 4th unit and haven’t had the power issue, but it drops WiFi connection almost daily.

I had the same problem and Rachio replaced the controler but I wonder if there is any additional troubleshooting. Did anyone get the controler to work after the boot 1 error?