FYI. After spending more hours than I’d like to admit trying to connect my Rachio 2nd Generation to my ASUS RT-AC66U router, I finally succeeded - albeit with an out of the box solution.
What didn’t work:
- Following instructions.
- Opening port 31314.
- Changing my 2.4 GHz band to Legacy, or enabling B/G protection.
What I refused to do:
- Disable my firewall.
What did work:
- I set up a spoofed WIFI network via the hotspot functionality on my phone to pair the device with Rachio servers.
- Then I turned it off and reconnected to my ASUS router.
- Magically, all four lights lit up!
How to do it:
- Make note of your router’s SSID and password (pre-shared key).
- Turn your router off.
- Grab a hotspot or enable the hotspot functionality on your phone.
- Configure the hotspot with the same SSID and password as your router (that you turned off).
- Pair a second phone or tablet with your hotspot.
- Setup the Rachio via the second phone/tablet, entering the SSID/password for your hotspot.
- Follow the prompts until all 4 lights light up.
- Disable the hotspot.
- Turn your ASUS router back on.
- It should then connect perfectly - all 4 lights.
- Finish wiring and complete configuration if needed.
_For the record, the firmware of my ASUS RT-AC66U at the time of this post was: 18.104.22.168.378_9533.
I’m guessing that this method would likely work when struggling with any other Apple WAC or Electric Imp BlinkUp device, but I don’t have any others.